Sata ports Extension availability

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also why i shouldn't pick the Raid one ? I might need raid for HDDs !
If you'd read that link, you'd know why you shouldn't use a RAID controller. We're here to help you, but you need to do some of the legwork yourself.
i found m1015 but it's pricey so I'm looking for cheap alternatives
You could try the two (H200 and H300) already mentioned in this thread. Or any other LSI/Broadcom/Avago SAS2008/2308/3008-based SAS HBA you can find.

hatem5000

Dabbler
I found this one .. anyone tried it to confirm compatibility with Truenas ?!!

B0CF54A8-C147-42D3-991D-FCAAB069E5F9.jpeg

NugentS

MVP
This brings a phrase to mind
"You can bring a horse to water - but you cannot make him drink"

Do what you want - use whatever piece of shit expansion card card you want to use. Its your money and your data. TrueNAS is a business grade piece of software and expects / runs on business grade hardware. The various LSI based cards have been tested and have got millions of hours of safe reliable operation. You have asked for our recommendations which we have given you - you then insist on asking about what is probably cheap crap which may work, or it may not. We don't know - because we happen to use proper tested equipment.

ZFS uses the disk drive adapter hard - so its probably the most important single piece of equipment in the machine (albeit that lots of others have to work, and work well, as well) and you want to cheap out and use some no name shenzen back street built random card?????

TrueNAS is based on FreeBSD - but does not contain all the drivers for various stuff that FreeBSD contains - thus you are limited in what will work, and even more limited in what will work well.

I recommend you try some alternative software - like UnRaid or OpenMedia Vault with which you are likely to have better luck and are more likely to have support for these random cards. You could try TrueNAS Scale which being based on Debian may contain support for more and cheaper kit - but as they say - Your Mileage May Vary

I am out

hatem5000

Dabbler
This brings a phrase to mind
"You can bring a horse to water - but you cannot make him drink"

Do what you want - use whatever piece of **** expansion card card you want to use. Its your money and your data. TrueNAS is a business grade piece of software and expects / runs on business grade hardware. The various LSI based cards have been tested and have got millions of hours of safe reliable operation. You have asked for our recommendations which we have given you - you then insist on asking about what is probably cheap crap which may work, or it may not. We don't know - because we happen to use proper tested equipment.

ZFS uses the disk drive adapter hard - so its probably the most important single piece of equipment in the machine (albeit that lots of others have to work, and work well, as well) and you want to cheap out and use some no name shenzen back street built random card?????

TrueNAS is based on FreeBSD - but does not contain all the drivers for various stuff that FreeBSD contains - thus you are limited in what will work, and even more limited in what will work well.

I recommend you try some alternative software - like UnRaid or OpenMedia Vault with which you are likely to have better luck and are more likely to have support for these random cards. You could try TrueNAS Scale which being based on Debian may contain support for more and cheaper kit - but as they say - Your Mileage May Vary

I am out

I feel like you don't know the manner of forum post conversation !! .. But i can illiterate it to you, it's like someone ask a question and anyone can write something HELPFUL in POLITE way hence if you can't satisfy this simple equation so DON'T make share .. simple as that ! .. BTW, I'm happy with your last phrase "I am out"...

My last post question was to all who shared or not in the entire thread .. so anyone who have this experience can say it .. But on the other side, all shares in that thread has been taken into consideration and not neglected !!

Final thing to clarify, is that my build is very simple home build not "big expensive entrprise grade professional truenas" build, hence it's more than logic to find solutions that fits it in functional way and also price point of view..if there is not, so be it .. so simple !!!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I feel like you don't know the manner of forum post conversation !! .. But i can illiterate it to you, it's like someone ask a question and anyone can write something HELPFUL in POLITE way hence if you can't satisfy this simple equation so DON'T make share .. simple as that ! .. BTW, I'm happy with your last phrase "I am out"...

Moderator note: The moderators appreciate you trying to do their job for them, but please note that if we're unhappy with behaviour, it's our role to raise the point directly with a poster. The other "manner of forum post conversation" that you appear to have forgotten is that you've solicited input, and that you should be open to listening to the advice of experienced forum members who've tried to correct you. There was nothing particularly objectionable here, especially since you appear to be resisting the correct guidance that's been repeatedly offered to you. You are being frustrating towards those people who are trying to help you.

The general experience with random SATA expander cards has been that they tend to have various problems, which can include "they don't work", or "they're PCIe X1", or "they aren't fully featured". It is unlikely that anyone in the FreeNAS community is going to have tried the cards you've indicated because at least one of these problems is obvious on the face of it.

My last post question was to all who shared or not in the entire thread .. so anyone who have this experience can say it .. But on the other side, all shares in that thread has been taken into consideration and not neglected !!

Final thing to clarify, is that my build is very simple home build not "big expensive entrprise grade professional truenas" build, hence it's more than logic to find solutions that fits it in functional way and also price point of view..if there is not, so be it .. so simple !!!

Most people running FreeNAS are already trying to do so as inexpensively as possible. This does not translate to you finding some magic option to use cheaper hardware than the cheapest tier that's been found to work reliably over the last DECADE.

Additionally, had you done any searching to determine compatibility of the hardware on your own, you'd likely have found that this second card you've suggested is not only a PCIe x1 card, but also based on a JMB575 SATA port multiplier, which is a train wreck and guaranteed not to work.

The AsMedia 1064 is a 4 port AHCI controller, which is going to be limited to a theoretical 1GB/s at PCIe 3, and I'd be real skeptical of hooking up four hard drives to this, especially if you weren't on a PCIe 3 host, because ZFS will absolutely plaster the thing with I/O during scrubs or rebuilds, and just because a controller "supports" a single 1GB/s lane doesn't mean it can actually keep up at that rate.

A 1064-based 4 port card where you only use two ports of it might plausibly work. This is dependent on a lot of factors, though, including whether or not the genuine AsMedia 106x parts work correctly, whether your card HAS genuine parts or Shenzhen back-alley knock-ofs, etc. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, lots of PC SATA port "expanders" are known to have various problems. I *believe* that if you could find a genuine 1062- or 1064-based AsMedia controller from a reputable source, without port multipliers, that you could use it for two drives and I'd be willing to bet that it would be okay.

In general, you have presented a really difficult problem. Not the controller, but rather your general desperation to avoid the good advice in search of a cheaper solution. The posters who have participated understand that the solution commonly known to work is an expensive enterprise SAS controller, and that the solution to "expensive" is to buy them used, where you can get them used for a tenth of the "new" price.

See, if I go and buy one of those SATA 4-port controllers new, that's $32, and I only get maybe two usable ports, or $16/port, and it might not work.

If I instead buy a Dell PERC H310 used for $22, I get eight usable ports, or $2.75/port, and it is guaranteed to work.

This is why people doing "very simple home builds" are recommending the better and cheaper hardware. Hope you can understand. On the flip side, you're not the first person from the Middle East that has complained about hardware availability. I don't know what the problem is there. Even if gear is held for a longer lifecycle, I would kinda think that the ten year old kit would be getting decommissioned...

Evertb1

Guru
@jgreco, well said. The way I look at "very simple home builds" with TrueNAs is that they can be a mixture of consumer grade and server grade hardware. Just take care that some of the critical parts are best servergrade hardware. And I am with you on those H310's. I have got two of them and they serve me well. Though in this part of the world I didn't find them for such a low price but at around 30 euro's a piece it was not breaking the bank either.

Evertb1

Guru
@hatem5000 . On this link you can find some tips and tricks to get ebay items that are located in UAE or at least will be shipped free of charge or for a reasonable price to the UAE. I tried it myself searching for a H310 and found plenty of reasonable priced cards. Though I have to admit that I don't know what is affordable for you.

hatem5000

Dabbler
@hatem5000 . On this link you can find some tips and tricks to get ebay items that are located in UAE or at least will be shipped free of charge or for a reasonable price to the UAE. I tried it myself searching for a H310 and found plenty of reasonable priced cards. Though I have to admit that I don't know what is affordable for you.

Thanks for the link and i try to find the option Dell H310 (that you and @jgreco recommended) in some local stores as used one before go with the journey of ebay buy.