External network reachability for a Minecraft VM on Scale ... help?

deltaprime25

Cadet
Hello,

I am running TrueNas Scale and have a windows VM hosting a Minecraft server. I am really new to TrueNas and am having trouble accessing the Minecraft Server outside the network. I can access the MC server internally just fine. Not sure what I need to do exactly to set this up for external access. Any help would be great.

Current Version - TrueNAS-22.02.2.1

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Please don't use vague abbreviations in subject lines. MC could stand for any number of things, including MasterCard, Midnight Commander, etc. Additionally, this particular forum is reserved for discussion of virtualizing TrueNAS on a hypervisor platform, not how to solve general networking problems, even if they might tangentially involve virtualization.

Without any sort of description of your network, such as how you're connected to the Internet, and what sort of NAT gateway ("router") you're using, you're also not likely to get many particularly accurate helpful answers to your question. Please consider providing more details.

deltaprime25

Cadet
Thanks for the pointers.

• I am running TrueNas Scale on a server. (TrueNAS-22.02.2.1)
  • I have a windows virtual machine running on said TrueNas Scale Server.
  • It has a single Network Integration Card / Internet connection going into the server.
  • The windows virtual machine is using the same Network Integration Card / Internet Connection.
  • On the Virtual Machine hosting Windows I have a MineCraft Server running.
  • I can access that from my network internally.
  • I am unable to access the MineCraft server outside my network.
  • I am asking for help on how to access that from outside my network.
  • I have a Mikrotik Router (RB2011UiAS) and I have the ports forwarded for the MineCraft Server.
Do I need to bridge the Network Integration Card in order for the Virtual Machine to be accessible to the outside? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Given your description of internal connectivity but not external connectivity, it sounds most likely that your Windows VM doesn't have a proper gateway set up. This would work for the internal network because of the implicit direct reachability of the local network via the Network Interface Card. However, this stuff is easy to mess up, so some basic network debugging is probably advisable. For example, see if you can reach the Windows VM from the Mikrotik.

tripodal

Dabbler
First Though -
Check your windows firewall on the Minecraft VM to ensure the allowed networks include the internet. You can use a packet capture tool such as Wireshark to monitor for connections to the Minecraft port on the VM; compare what you see when you connect from your local VM as opposed to someone externally.

Second Thought -
Make sure you're ISP doesn't have you configured a CG nat. in those cases its not possible to make inbound connections from the internet; as IP's and ports are shared/reused among thousands of users.

deltaprime25

Cadet
First Though -
Check your windows firewall on the Minecraft VM to ensure the allowed networks include the internet. You can use a packet capture tool such as Wireshark to monitor for connections to the Minecraft port on the VM; compare what you see when you connect from your local VM as opposed to someone externally.

Second Thought -
Make sure you're ISP doesn't have you configured a CG nat. in those cases its not possible to make inbound connections from the internet; as IP's and ports are shared/reused among thousands of users.
Thank you I had the portforward configured with a source nat on accident instead of a destination nat on my router that is what was blocking my external access. I was pretty sure that I had set it correctly but I went back and started at the beginning after a break and found it. Thank you for your help.