ESATA port for adding drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrME

Dabbler
I was looking at using my ESATA port to add a another 1TB drive to my system. Was wondering if anyone else has done this ?

specs.....
ASROCK E350M1 {CPU fan lvl 1 in BIOS}
Pareema 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK NIC
4 - WD20EARS 2TB HDD
picoPSU-150-XT PowerSupply
1 - Noctua NF-R8-1800 {lvl 1 manual speed control in BIOS}

mrsieb

Dabbler
I dont see a reason why it should not work. Only thing that maybe a multiplierer is not supported on the onboard ESATA port.
Use a high quality cable with good mechanical connectors.

mrME

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply....Your right this Mobo does not have multiplier support but Im only using a single drive which is working great. Its just a spare drive to hold all of my kids junk...music, videos, etc.

fisheater

Explorer
Im keen to do this also. I am using the ASUS e35 M1-M Pro 8 GB RAM which has 5 SATA ports, and one eSATA. I would like to try and use that 6th port (eSATA) to set up two RAIDz pools - each of 3x 2TB drives. Anyone have any luck with using an eSATA port to gain one extra HD in your pool?

TY

mrME

Dabbler
Not sure about adding it to your raid... im just using it stand alone UFS. Are you trying to use 2 drive on one Esata port ? If so then your gonna multiplier support.

fisheater

Explorer
Plan
RAIDZ 1 - SATA1, SATA2, SATA3
RAIDZ 2 - SATA4, SATA5, eSATA

warri

Guru
I have my small 2,5" drive connected to the eSATA port - it runs as a separate ZFS volume.
There are no problems so far, I'm using this cable: SATA extern 100cm SATA to eSATA (sorry, german website)

Status
Not open for further replies.