Error Getting Available Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Hi, so. over the passed few days my FreeNAS box has completely crapped out on me. I believe one of my drives is not being recognized by FreeNAS anymore. (although it is in BIOS). I should add, that the box has been running relatively flawlessly over the passed year. I'd like to know what course of actio to take, because all other posts had solutions that did not help me.

Here's some info

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist											
<WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 51.0AB51>	 at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)		
<Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP>   at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,da0)		 
<Generic USB SD Reader 1.00>	   at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,da1)		 
<Generic USB CF Reader 1.01>	   at scbus8 target 0 lun 1 (pass4,da2)		 
<Generic USB SM Reader 1.02>	   at scbus8 target 0 lun 2 (pass5,da3)		 
<Generic USB MS Reader 1.03>	   at scbus8 target 0 lun 3 (pass6,da4)		 
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import												 
   pool: volume																 
	 id: 15228252309542362208												   
  state: UNAVAIL																
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.					   
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing						
		devices and try again.												 
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X									 
config:																		

volume										UNAVAIL  missing device   
		  gptid/8ecc2d18-8047-11e6-b079-bcaec556309d  ONLINE					

Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their	 
		exact configuration cannot be determined.							   

also I've replaced the SATA Cables and tried the other ports

The mobo is an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
running 8 GB of RAM
and I've got 2 drives in right now:
a 2TB and a 320GB (I can get the specifics after if needed)

Let me know what i can do to get my data back!

joeschmuck

Old Man
How about posting the output from zpool status

anthony klimek

Dabbler
How about posting the output from zpool status
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status												 
  pool: freenas-boot															
state: ONLINE																 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue May  9 03:45:43 2017	 
config:																		 

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		freenas-boot								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/43cadbab-801a-11e6-a958-bcaec556309d  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors													
[root@freenas ~]#			 

gpsguy

Given the message you see when you try to import your volume, my guess is that you striped the two disks together into one volume. That gave you no redundancy against disk failures. If either disk fails, your pool is gone.

Given that camcontrol devlist only sees the 2TB WD drive, unless you can get the 320GB drive visible and working again, you won't be able to access your data. Restore from backup.

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Given the message you see when you try to import your volume, my guess is that you striped the two disks together into one volume. That gave you no redundancy against disk failures. If either disk fails, your pool is gone.

Given that camcontrol devlist only sees the 2TB WD drive, unless you can get the 320GB drive visible and working again, you won't be able to access your data. Restore from backup.

Im not sure i have a backup...

But now i can see my volume but can't access it through windows
also i get this alert:

Device: /dev/ada0, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

gpsguy

Please do another zpool status and show us the results.

gpsguy

Are you still booting from your original flash drive with it's configuration? Or did you reinstall FreeNAS on a new flash drive and import your pool? If the latter, you'd either need to restore your configuration or reconfigure the shares, etc.

In any event, I'd get a minimal configuration up and going and backup any critical data ASAP.

After backing up the data, I'd start over with a pool that offers some form of redundancy. Mirrors might be a good start, if you want to start with a small system with just two disks.

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Are you still booting from your original flash drive with it's configuration? Or did you reinstall FreeNAS on a new flash drive and import your pool? If the latter, you'd either need to restore your configuration or reconfigure the shares, etc.

In any event, I'd get a minimal configuration up and going and backup any critical data ASAP.

After backing up the data, I'd start over with a pool that offers some form of redundancy. Mirrors might be a good start, if you want to start with a small system with just two disks.

okay, so It's back to ignoring the other drive (which turns out to be 250 GB's not 320...) so I'm not able to do another zpool status, if I can get it back I will, but to answer your question I am indeed booting from the original flash drive. how would i go about backing up my data? i dont mind resetting up all my jails and plex server and whatnot i just want to get the rest of my data back

Stux

MVP
Is the 250GB a USB drive?

Just trying to understand where/what the devices are.

If the 250GB is striped with the 2TB, then you will need both devices to be available to mount the pool. If you can't get the 250GB online, then the pool is toast (as it had no redundancy... I think)

gpsguy

If you can't get the other drive online, you won't be able to access your data.

okay, so It's back to ignoring the other drive (which turns out to be 250 GB's not 320...)

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Is the 250GB a USB drive?

Just trying to understand where/what the devices are.

If the 250GB is striped with the 2TB, then you will need both devices to be available to mount the pool. If you can't get the 250GB online, then the pool is toast (as it had no redundancy... I think)

ah no, they're my two hard drives, and that's the weird thing, i don't ever recall making them striped. Like I'm slightly knowledgeable in raid configs, and i knew this way before making the NAS. On top of that I can see it in the BIOS so??

gpsguy

Did you start with one drive, run low on space and extend the volume by adding a second drive? That's the typical scenario.

Had you created a mirror with 250GB and 2TB drives, your pool size would be based on the size of the smallest disk, ie. 250GB. Striping them together gives you the full capacity of both drives, but offers no redundancy.

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Did you start with one drive, run low on space and extend the volume by adding a second drive? That's the typical scenario.

Had you created a mirror with 250GB and 2TB drives, your pool size would be based on the size of the smallest disk, ie. 250GB. Striping them together gives you the full capacity of both drives, but offers no redundancy.

I see. i definitely had more data than 250GB's so it must of been striped. Damn, I had no idea it would be thrown in Raid 0. so I'm pretty much out of luck... is there any other way to access this this outside of FreeNAS? Because the drive still works!

Stux

MVP
If the drive is working, then get it working then in FreeNAS.

The real question is where is the drive? I'm guessing it's dead

Quite possible for the BIOS to see a dead drive, but if the drive won't mount...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well hopefully the data you lost is not imporant because recovery is looking pretty slim. It's very imporant to understand how your system is configured and the pitfalls of certain configurations.

Also, since it appears the drives were striped, you need to have both drives functional to recover data, one drive alone won't do it. With that said, it is possible to recover some data provided all that data was written to the good drive and you pay tons of money to a recovery service, but this is unrealistic to be honest.

anthony klimek

Dabbler
Well hopefully the data you lost is not imporant because recovery is looking pretty slim. It's very imporant to understand how your system is configured and the pitfalls of certain configurations.

Also, since it appears the drives were striped, you need to have both drives functional to recover data, one drive alone won't do it. With that said, it is possible to recover some data provided all that data was written to the good drive and you pay tons of money to a recovery service, but this is unrealistic to be honest.

yeah the weird part is I don't ever recall making it a Raid 0. Anyway, ive gotten to this step again labeled in the screenshot
Ip42QLZ.png

and here's the zpool status, which is now only confusing me more lol:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status												 
  pool: freenas-boot															
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue May  9 03:45:43 2017	 
config:																		 

freenas-boot								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/43cadbab-801a-11e6-a958-bcaec556309d  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

pool: volume																 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 6h3m with 0 errors on Sun Apr 30 06:03:05 2017	 
config:																		 

volume										ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/8da9397d-8047-11e6-b079-bcaec556309d  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/8ecc2d18-8047-11e6-b079-bcaec556309d  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

anthony klimek

Dabbler
sorry for the double post but i think this might have some relevance:
ayWREtu.png

If i can clone the data on this drive onto another one is the hope still alive? If so, how can i go about doing this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Tell you what... Run a SMART Extended test and lets see what the results are. My signature has the link for the Hard Drive Troubleshooting Guide if you are unsure what needs to be done. If it's a good result then maybe something could be done but lets not hold your breath.

gpsguy

Instead of the SMART extended test should we try to help him backup any critical data. Last night he couldn't access his shares - even though it appeared that he got the pool mounted, before losing it again.

Stux

MVP
Backup your data now!

Status
Not open for further replies.