Error: [EINVAL] pool_create.topology.special: Item#0 is not valid per list && types: [EINVAL] specialvdevs.type: Invalid choice: RAIDZ1

Burstlin

Cadet
Hello there, this is a long story. I install TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 at first. When i wanna create a pool with 2 x raidz data and a mirror metadata vdev, the optional Metadata stage requires 3 drives for a Z1(i just have 2 nvme). I thought that's unreasonable cause i can create mirror metadata in version 22.12, but i compromised and bought 1 more nvme for Z1. After i attached it, and click create pool. The Error jumped as below(and title).

"Error: [EINVAL] pool_create.topology.special: Item#0 is not valid per list types: [EINVAL] specialvdevs.type: Invalid choice: RAIDZ1"

I googled everywhere and can only find the same problem in "Report Truenas Bug"(and as lowest priority), i wonder if you guys have updated to this version and met this bug? I was so confused i can not find the same problem in this forums.
At last, i back to 22.12 and unattached this new disk. He will be reattach after the bug fixed.

Attachments

• bug.png
    bug.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 55
  • topology.png
    topology.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 47

Burstlin

Cadet
BTW
Hello there, this is a long story. I install TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 at first. When i wanna create a pool with 2 x raidz data and a mirror metadata vdev, the optional Metadata stage requires 3 drives for a Z1(i just have 2 nvme). I thought that's unreasonable cause i can create mirror metadata in version 22.12, but i compromised and bought 1 more nvme for Z1. After i attached it, and click create pool. The Error jumped as below(and title).

"Error: [EINVAL] pool_create.topology.special: Item#0 is not valid per list types: [EINVAL] specialvdevs.type: Invalid choice: RAIDZ1"

I googled everywhere and can only find the same problem in "Report Truenas Bug"(and as lowest priority), i wonder if you guys have updated to this version and met this bug? I was so confused i can not find the same problem in this forums.
At last, i back to 22.12 and unattached this new disk. He will be reattach after the bug fixed.
My hardware is
Motherboard: MZ31-AR0
CPU: EPYC 7252
HDD: 16 HDD & 3NVME
HBA: LSI 9300_8i P16
Even though I think this problem has nothing to do with hardware. Since i can acctually create pool in 22.12 with mirror metadata vdev

hamfei

Cadet
I'm having the exact same issue when adding SSD to the pool as Metadata vdev. looking for any updates....

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

hamfei

Cadet

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks a lot! I'll go back to Bluefin until the new version gets released.
Note that you'd only have to use Bluefin in order to create the pool - this bug is specific to the UI on the creation workflow.

As an additional note, special vdevs can only use stripes or mirrors - RAIDZ-anything is an invalid topology at the OpenZFS level, so this can't/won't change in 23.10.1 or beyond unless an upstream change allows it.

hamfei

Cadet
Note that you'd only have to use Bluefin in order to create the pool - this bug is specific to the UI on the creation workflow.

As an additional note, special vdevs can only use stripes or mirrors - RAIDZ-anything is an invalid topology at the OpenZFS level, so this can't/won't change in 23.10.1 or beyond unless an upstream change allows it.
Thanks for the update. Now I could understand the cause of the problem. It appears that the pool creation wizard prompted a wrong layout option which special vdev does not support. In my setup, the UI only list the width of 3 or 4 when I attempted to create the special vdev. Since I was new to Scale version, I assumed that RAIDZ could be the requirement of the special vdev in Scale version…
now I’m running bluefin and creating the pool successfully. I will try upgrading to 23.10 with the existing pool.

Again, thank you for the explanations. This was really helpful.

Burstlin

Cadet

Thanks for replying too, i've use bluefin for now. Looking forward to the update of the next version. BTW, if I am using the mirror metadata vdev now, will it be affected if i update the latest version?