Error: Cannot connect to host update.ixsystems.com

DarkCorner

Explorer
I have a TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2.
I wanted to upgrade to the latest version, but I get this error.

Cannot connect to host update.ixsystems.com:443 ssl:True [SSLCertVerificationError: (1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate is not yet valid (_ssl.c:1123)')]: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings

I did a search online, but I can't find any solutions.
The time reported is correct.

NugentS

MVP
The usual issue here is if you have set the IP address manually, rather than via DHCP.
Have you also set DNS and Gateway manually as well?

danb35

Hall of Famer
The time reported is correct.
...and the date? The error your system is reporting states that the cert is "not yet valid," and the cert is valid 1/24/24 - 4/23/24. That error indicates that your server thinks the date is before 1/24/24.

NugentS

MVP
@danb35 has a much better idea than mine

DarkCorner

Explorer
The IP address is taken from DHCP, but even if I set it manually the error remains.
I can't tell if the battery on the MoBo is low, but the Time is set with a Time Zone (NTP Server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org, 1.debian.pool.ntp.org, 2.debian.pool.ntp.org) and the date and time are correct.

DarkCorner

Explorer
Damn! Tue Oct 17 13:50:03 CEST 2023
But why? What's the point of having the Time Server then?

$ openssl s_client -connect update.ixsystems.com:443 CONNECTED(00000003) depth=2 C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS Root R1 verify return:1 depth=1 C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS CA 1P5 verify return:1 depth=0 CN = update.ixsystems.com verify error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid notBefore=Jan 24 16:42:10 2024 GMT verify return:1 depth=0 CN = update.ixsystems.com notBefore=Jan 24 16:42:10 2024 GMT verify return:1 --- Certificate chain 0 s:CN = update.ixsystems.com i:C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS CA 1P5 1 s:C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS CA 1P5 i:C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS Root R1 2 s:C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS Root R1 i:C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, OU = Root CA, CN = GlobalSign Root CA --- Server certificate -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- -----END CERTIFICATE----- subject=CN = update.ixsystems.com issuer=C = US, O = Google Trust Services LLC, CN = GTS CA 1P5 --- No client certificate CA names sent Peer signing digest: SHA256 Peer signature type: ECDSA Server Temp Key: X25519, 253 bits --- SSL handshake has read 4361 bytes and written 386 bytes Verification error: certificate is not yet valid --- New, TLSv1.3, Cipher is TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 Server public key is 256 bit Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported Compression: NONE Expansion: NONE No ALPN negotiated Early data was not sent Verify return code: 9 (certificate is not yet valid) --- read:errno=0

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Damn! Tue Oct 17 13:50:03 CEST 2023
But why? What's the point of having the Time Server then?
Is the time server reachable? Does it answer? Try ntpdate -q <time server> to verify. Also ntpd refuses to start if the gap between the local and the real time is too large. There's a flag to override that but I do not know if SCALE uses it.

DarkCorner

Explorer
ntpdate is not available, but with the command sudo apt-get install ntpdate I get the error that apt-get is also not available.

However the time server must work since both date and time are correct; also ping on timeserver 0.debian.pool.ntp.org works.

DarkCorner

Explorer
I solved it by changing the date and time in the BIOS.
Now it's doing the update.
I will open the NAS later to change the battery.

For now, I thank everyone for their help.