"certificate is not yet valid" on update check right after installing TrueNAS Scale

Jakob K

Cadet
I am getting the following error message whenever I click on "Check For Updates" right after I have freshly installed TrueNAS Scale 22.12.1.
Cannot connect to host update.ixsystems.com:443 ssl:True [SSLCertVerificationError: (1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate is not yet valid (_ssl.c:1123)')]: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.
Additionally, using wget to try and request any https site also gives me "The certificate has not yet been activated".

I haven't changed the network settings, the dashboard is reachable in my local network and working fine, the only issue present is related to TLS certificates.
(Secure connections work fine with any other Linux system on the same machine connected to the same network.)

Have I missed an important network configuration step during the installation?

Jakob K

Cadet
Apparently the time is incorrect, but I am unsure why and whether or not I should just use the Debian standards for updating it - or go a different route?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean your system clock? Yeah, you can go ahead and fix that.

Jakob K

Cadet
Alright, thanks.

I used the following commands to trigger a manual time update.

Code:
service ntp stop
ntpd -gq
service ntp start

Is it normal that I have to do this after a fresh TrueNAS Scale installation?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not particularly expected, but if you had your system clock set to local time instead of UTC, then it wouldn't be too surprising.

wesleyh

Cadet
I have this same issue, just installed today and it will not update and show no train. The above commands I cannot find where to run them either.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you have this issue, it means your system clock is off--probably by a lot. Fix that first. Reset it in the BIOS to UTC (not local time), probably change the battery, and it will work plenty well for the purpose of updates. That will probably resolve any issues with NTP as well.