Errno 16 Failed to wipe disk sdb: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/sdb'

Sappegap

Cadet
I'm trying to get my truenas raid-z up and running.

I've tried multiple ways to start my server up via ubuntu and it all worked fine.

But for my storage solution it was better to switch up to Truenas Scale
So I flashed my bootdrives and all works fine till the moment I want to create a pool...\

I'm using 4x 8TB ironwolf nas disks to create this pool,

The message I get is;
[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk sdb: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/sdb'

With this as extra info:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 411, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 446, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1140, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1272, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 740, in do_create await self.middleware.call('pool.format_disks', job, disks) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1345, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1294, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 56, in format_disks await asyncio_map(format_disk, disks.items(), limit=16) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 16, in asyncio_map return await asyncio.gather(*futures) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 13, in func return await real_func(arg) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 29, in format_disk await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1345, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1206, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk_/format.py", line 26, in format raise CallError(f'Failed to wipe disk {disk}: {job.error}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk sdb: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/sdb'

Can anybody help me out with this one?

joeschmuck

Old Man
What version of Scale? If you are running the new 22.12.RC-1, I'd recommend you try an earlier version to make sure the RC isn't at fault or try Core. If this allows you to create the pool, then submit a bug report.

What is drive sdb? Is this one of the 8TB drives or something else? It may seem obvious that it's an 8TB drive but I dislike making assumptions as that leads to errors.

Lastly, were these drives used previously in any sort of RAID environment? If yes, you may need to manually erase the first and last several LBA's of each drive to remove the previous RAID information.