ENTER key does not work in the shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB62

Cadet
Hi,

I can open a shell from the GUI and type text, but the ENTER key does not work.
So there is no way to issue any shell commands.
All character keys work fine. Delete, shift and Caps too.
Not sure about others like Ctrl, Esc, etc. What would they generate? I get nothing from them in the shell.

The ENTER key used to work but I cant recall with what FREENAS version it stopped. I've only opened the shell a few times. But now there are a few things I need it for so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Currently running FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd). The initial installation was made in dec 2014.
Only updated the OS using the GUI since then.

Nick2253

Wizard
I don't use the shell, because it's really easy to set up SSH and use that, which is what I'd recommend.

If your desktop computer is Windows, PuTTy is my recommended program to connect. If your desktop is Mac/Linux, then you can just use the built-in ssh tool.

https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_services.html#ssh

Are you using internet explorer? This is a known issue. If you want to stick with using the WebUI shell, try using Chrome or Firefox instead.

+1 for PuTTY though. ;-)

Evertb1

Guru
I had the same problems with IE11 as well as Edge. I use Chrome when I want to access the WebUI and have no problems with the shell. Though learning to use PuTTY (not hard to do) would be a good thing I think.

RB62

Cadet
Are you using internet explorer? This is a known issue. If you want to stick with using the WebUI shell, try using Chrome or Firefox instead.

+1 for PuTTY though. ;-)

Yes, its IE11.
Using ssh (cygwin) to login as non root used, solved the problem.
With Firefox I can't even logon. I get
Forbidden (403), CSRF verification failed. Request aborted
But that's another problem for another thread ;)

thx

danb35

Hall of Famer
Using ssh (cygwin) to login as non root used,
Certainly cygwin is a valid way to do Unix-y things under Windows, but most Windows users find it easier to use a native Windows ssh client. Two popular ones are PuTTY and Bitvise.

Status
Not open for further replies.