Abnormal copy/paste behavior in shell

rtuite

Dabbler
I want to say this is a bug and file a report, but I'm not experienced enough to know that I'm not doing something wrong. I did search the forums here and didn't find this, so maybe it's a one-off error. However, it is happening in both Chrome and Firefox.

I'm trying to configure my Transmission plugin login via the command line which involves generating the SHA1 of the desired password then using vi to paste it into the config file.

When I generate the SHA1 and copy it with Ctrl+Insert then paste it with Shift+Insert, it appears that it is copying text from several lines above instead of the text I had highlighted when I pressed Ctrl+Insert. See the example below.

1588947657133.png

I have verified that it happens in all instances of shell, whether it's shell interface for a jail or the general shell console for the base machine.

I have a workaround, and that is to generate the hash on my machine and copy it from there then paste it in. This is just an annoyance...

Yorick

Wizard
Stop struggling with that, enable the SSH service, and use ssh to log in. ssh root@freenas-ip , built into Windows 10 and MacOS from command line, or download and use PuTTY.

rtuite

Dabbler
Geez. I use PuTTY for several things... I don't know why I didn't think of using it for this.
:facepalm:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I want to say this is a bug and file a report
It is a bug and it's already been reported, though I don't have the number handy. But it's always been a POS, even if it's a different POS now than it once was. SSH is the way to go.