lasdem

Cadet
Version: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0

I am getting the following error if I try to extend my RAIDZ1 Vdev:
Code:
 Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 426, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 461, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1284, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1152, in nf
    res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/attach_disk.py", line 46, in attach
    verrors.check()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 70, in check
    raise self
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] pool_attach.target_vdev: Unable to locate VDEV

This is the menu that I am using:
1676392282216.png

NugentS

MVP
You absolutely cannot do this with a Z1. YOu can extend a single disk to a mirror, but you cannot add a new disk to an existing Z1 vdev

The only way of adding a 4th disk to an existing Z1 vdev is to trash the vdev / pool and start again. Do you have reliable backups?

lasdem

Cadet
Thanks, in this case the UI should not offer the function....
I now have my data on:
  1. the raidz1 that I try to expand
  2. the single 12TB disk that I try to add to the vdev
  3. 6 different mirrored disk adding up to 10TB
    • I don't have enough sata ports to add all 6 and have the 4 for the vdev in the case.
    • I could add 3 of the disks (without their mirror parts) to the case and mount them, but that would be pretty sketchy, right?

NugentS

MVP
I would suggest an external SAS enclosure off ebay or from a dismantler and an LSI HBA Card with external ports.

BTW if you had added the 12TB disk - you would have wiped any data on it

lasdem

Cadet
I would suggest an external SAS enclosure off ebay or from a dismantler and an LSI HBA Card with external ports.

BTW if you had added the 12TB disk - you would have wiped any data on it
Loosing the data on the 12TB drive is not an issue since I don't need 3 redundant copies of the data anyway.
The 3 data locations that I mentioned above contain the same data and are as following:
  1. New Storage: the raidz1 that I try to expand
  2. Temp Storage: the single 12TB disk that I try to add to the vdev
  3. Old Storage: 6 different mirrored disk adding up to 10TB
The Old disk I plan to decommission since I don't have the space for them in the chassis and the storage total is less then one of the new disks.
The single 12TB temp storage disk was just so that I can move the data from old storage to new storage, while not having enough SATA ports for both OLD and NEW.
I could by an external enclosure / HBA card and use it only for the data migration and sell it or send it back afterwards, but I hoped to solve this with the hardware that I already have.

NugentS

MVP
Well I will state catagorically that you can't possibly do it with the hardware we know you have
cos you don't have any - please read forum rules at top of page - its a link highlighted in red