ECC UDIMM vs ECC RDIMM

vthinsel

Dabbler
Hello,
I'm about to upgrade my motherboard/CPU/RAM for something more solid, based on SuperMicro X11SCL and a Core i3. Question is on the memory, which must be unregistered as per the documentation. I checked with support and they told me : "ECC registered memory may work but it’s not officially supported. "
So if I'm lucky my 2*32Gb ECC RDIMM will work.... if the sytem boots up properly and is stable I guess I'm fine, right ? No side effects on data integrity ?
Have some of you RDIMM working on UDIMM expected systems ?

Thanks

Etorix

Wizard
I have never tried that, and would not expect to work. RDIMM requires a different controller logic than UDIMM.
If you want to use your RDIMM, you'd better look for a system which does officially support RDIMM.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
To echo what @Etorix wrote, I would never go down that route. I also find it quite strange to get such a statement from support. Why are you looking at RDIMMs in the first place? Perhaps a different (older?) board is a better choice for. What made you choose the one you have? And why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Not to convince you otherwise, but better understand were you are coming from ...

vthinsel

Dabbler
I have spare ECC RDIMMs in a drawer, so I would have liked to use them. I also needed a mini ITX board, reducing the scope of "enterprise class" motheboards to replace a AMD/Aorus mini ITX setup which is not really designed for 24/7 operations.
In my drawer I also had spare UDIMM non-ECC, which worked ! This will give me some time to find some ECC UDIMM.