ECC supported with Intel G3220?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJS

Cadet
Hi,
I'm currently in the process of building a NAS and yesterday I put most of the things together. However I'm still waiting for the PSU to arrive (will probably arrive today, I hope :) ). The machine has the following spec:

Supermicro X10SLL-F
Intel Pentium G3220
2 x Samsung DDR3 8GB ECC (M391B1G73QH0-YK0)
4 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB

Now, obviously I will want to have the ECC-feture to work correctly and as far as I understand the CPU should support this according to Intels webpage. My build also looks similar to that of many others here. But when reading around on the forum I came across this thread, https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...nstalling-9-3-on-a-supermicro-x10sll-f.25932/. In post #16 "danzi" has had a e-mail conversation with supermicro:

"The X10SLL-F with BIOS version 2.0+ can support all socket 1150 CPU’s in the Celeron, Pentium i3 and Xeon E3 families, the i5 and i7 are both not supported.

Also, you must use ECC enabled memory, although this will only work on the E3, the system will not POST if non-ECC memory is used. This is due to a chipset limitation.

I might miss on specific features of cpecific CPU’s, if you would have an ECC enabled i3 CPU then ECC should simply function as expected.

As for memory, we always recommend to use something from the tested memory list, but we haven’t heard many complaints about memory not working except for when it is not ECC memory, the board isn’t too picky about it.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best Regards / Mit freundlichem gruß,

Quintijn Schade van Westrum

Application Engineer

Super Micro Computer B.V.

Technical Support"

So, now to the question. Will the ECC functionality only work when an Intel Xeon E3 processor is used?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All current indications are that Haswell Celerons, Pentiums and i3s do support ECC properly.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The X10 motherboard series paired with the G3220 series Pentium CPU's support ECC. This is 100% settled canon. Proceed, sir, without fear. The email conversation you are referring to is either incorrect, or taken out of context.

SJS

Cadet
Glad to hear, I thought it seemed strange :p . I did put it all together yesterday and have it up and running now, so far so good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.