Resource icon

EasyStore Drive Shucking like a pro ... by a pro

jgreco

Resident Grinch
jgreco submitted a new resource:

EasyStore Drive Shucking like a pro ... by a pro - Save hundreds of dollars especially on Black Friday

It has been quite common, for many years, for there to be awesome deals on large capacity hard drives by major vendors on Black Friday. The only downside is that they come in a plastic shell and are "external drives."

This week, Post-Covidian Black Friday Week, Best Buy is selling their external WD EasyStore 14TB (which is a whitebox WD140EDFZ in all the drives I have opened) for $199.99, while the price for other similar retail 14TB drives seems to hover around $400.

Because this...

Read more about this resource...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Originally from my 2020 article:

Etorix

Wizard
I saw it at the time… but it was just a few days too late to prevent me from partially destroying a few casings by shucking. Admittedly I do not expect to ever put the drives back in there.

And this other post is the logical follow-up after shucking:

Last edited:
Thank you for the writeup, I love reading well-written articles from enterprising individuals.

As a note, Western Digital (on the WD site) has
WD Red Plus (not Pro) 12 TB drives for $230,
the Pro for $270, though for the $/TB,
WD Gold (enterprise level) 18 TB drives are $350, meaning an astounding $19 /TB.

No shucking, full warranty, huge MTBF, and high speed (Gold: 269 MB/s, Plus: 196, Red: 180), though not as inexpensive as shucking drives.