SOLVED easy question

So, this should be a relatively easy question...
BUT:
If i reinstall TrueNAS Scale, i can just import my pool back into the install, correct? i dont have to do a data dump or anything, just reinstall and import, right? (like Core version)?

truecharts

Guru
Important note:
This does not work for getting your Apps back into working order.

For that backup-and-restore is needed, which should be working from the CLI (or TrueTool) starting RELEASE later this month :)

Important note:
This does not work for getting your Apps back into working order.

For that backup-and-restore is needed, which should be working from the CLI (or TrueTool) starting RELEASE later this month :)
ACTUALLY... it seems that, as long as you dont touch any of the data folders for the apps (ix-applications/releases/yourapp) then the apps will indeed come back up on their own (it seems that you may have to create one first, but the system then pulls the rest (from my perspective, as i created plex first and then all the rest populated and seem to work without any issues))

ALTHOUGH: it should strongly be discouraged from using a reinstall to regain access to applications as MUCH MUCH more testing would be needed to confirm that things dont break...

truecharts

Guru
ACTUALLY... it seems that, as long as you dont touch any of the data folders for the apps (ix-applications/releases/yourapp) then the apps will indeed come back up on their own (it seems that you may have to create one first, but the system then pulls the rest (from my perspective, as i created plex first and then all the rest populated and seem to work without any issues))

ALTHOUGH: it should strongly be discouraged from using a reinstall to regain access to applications as MUCH MUCH more testing would be needed to confirm that things dont break...

We've seen mixed result on that, some work out relatively well, others start wiping the complete ix-applications dataset.

We've seen mixed result on that, some work out relatively well, others start wiping the complete ix-applications dataset.
ive not had the chance to repeat the process or test other setups yet (will set up a VM and do dumb stuff with it once i get my main machine back up 100%) BUT, my guess is it likely has something to do with how the ix-applications folder is set up and where its located. For me, i let the applications essentially self generate that folder on my main storage pool without creating a specific data set for it. And i think in creating it with that setup, much like docker would, it preserves all the configurations and settings in the Storage pool (as that part isnt touched in an install until you import it, and even then, it isnt modified in any way).
My guess (without a lot more trial and error) is that those who have experienced a different result, had their ix-applications folder that was wiped when they reinstalled, or existed on another storage pool or drive than what was carried over). Again, this is all speculation as Ive only experienced this situation once and have since lost the ability to talk directly to the guys at truecharts to pick their brains on the hows and whys.

truecharts

Guru
ive not had the chance to repeat the process or test other setups yet (will set up a VM and do dumb stuff with it once i get my main machine back up 100%) BUT, my guess is it likely has something to do with how the ix-applications folder is set up and where its located. For me, i let the applications essentially self generate that folder on my main storage pool without creating a specific data set for it. And i think in creating it with that setup, much like docker would, it preserves all the configurations and settings in the Storage pool (as that part isnt touched in an install until you import it, and even then, it isnt modified in any way).
My guess (without a lot more trial and error) is that those who have experienced a different result, had their ix-applications folder that was wiped when they reinstalled, or existed on another storage pool or drive than what was carried over). Again, this is all speculation as Ive only experienced this situation once and have since lost the ability to talk directly to the guys at truecharts to pick their brains on the hows and whys.

Any issues mostly have to do with (re-)initialisation of the k3s service. Mostly the certificates. Combined with some failsafe code that reinits the k3s service when certain actions are detected.

But this is, like many other issues, out side of our project scope so we'll leave it at that.
(also we just have one person versed in that part of the SCALE codebase, Ornias, and he is not available the comming months to work on bugtracing the iX codebase)

Any issues mostly have to do with (re-)initialisation of the k3s service. Mostly the certificates. Combined with some failsafe code that reinits the k3s service when certain actions are detected.

But this is, like many other issues, out side of our project scope so we'll leave it at that.
(also we just have one person versed in that part of the SCALE codebase, Ornias, and he is not available the comming months to work on bugtracing the iX codebase)
While I appreciate the input, I think your comments have gone out of the scope of the original question. Though, if you would like to mention the same things, I have a thread started specifically addressing the recovery of apps if your GUI breaks for some reason. I have not found truecharts to be forthcoming or helpful when it comes to the deeper technical issues that can arise from system errors, but would be very grateful if you guys wanted to chime in on the thread that deals specifically with that kind of thing (i believe ive already harvested 1 of your CLI commands that may be able to help) (see link to follow):