DYI Ryzen build

le-dvd

Cadet
Hello everyone !
It's been a while that I'm thinking about upgrading my current NAS, which is an old 2 bay Synology.
I was happy with it until now, but I'll recycle it to handle data from my cameras.

I initially thought about purchasing another Synology, the ds923+.
Atfer lots of research, it started to feel a bit underpowered for the price.

I already knew TrueNAS (FreeNAS) but never really used it for "important" data.
So I started to read a lot of posts here, and the hardware recommendation, and came up with the following ideas, for which I'd like to get your opinion :

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X570D4U
CPU: Ryzen 5 pro 4650g, maybe Ryzen 5 3600X
Memory: 32Gb ddr4 ECC unbuffered udimm (still trying to find some available from the QVL)
HDD boot: 1x SSD
HDD data: 2x 8Tb (leaving room to upgrade to another 2x 8Tb when time comes)
Power unit: not sure, probably a gold 500w ?

I don't need a lot of power, so I could probably downsize a bit the CPU, but I was not sure about ECC.
From the specs, I see that pro models with graphics should be fine, that's why I initiallty chose the 4650g, but it's maybe overkill.
I'd like to keep a low wattage if possible.

Thanks already !
David

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Did you consider going for a used server board?

le-dvd

Cadet
I saw some x11ssl-f on ebay for around 150usd.
Paired with a core i3, I think this could also be a good choice.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The X570D4U has built in video for the VGA connector, not HDMI. Also when you use a Ryzen CPU with Graphics, it looks like it slows down the PCIe bus. Whatever motherboard you purchase, download the manual and read it carefully. Try to understand all the little nuances. Basically if you did purchase this MB, you could save a bit of money buying a CPU without the graphics unless you need the HDMI connection.

le-dvd

Cadet
Thank you.
Yes I saw for the PCIe, in my case it's ok.
I didn't know for the VGA, and I'm not sure if non-graphics Ryzen would support ECC.
But I'll look a bit more in that direction !