SOLVED Drive not showing up.

geagle

Cadet
I am virtualising TrueNAS Core 12.0-U6 in XCP-NG and passing through a DELL PERC H200 set up as JBOD. The server is a Dell Powervault NX3000.

When I first installed TrueNAS all 6 2TB drives showed up, but after a restart of the VM the 6th disappeared. I have tried swapping the drive, with a known ok, but it still wont show up. All 6 drives are showing up correctly in the bios. I even booted a Debian iso in rescue mode inside the same vm and i were able to see all 6 drives.

Is there something that I am missing in TrueNAS, since the drive should be present in the VM.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check if your pass-through is still on the same PCI address. It's not very common for PCI addresses to change, but I've heard of it happening in rare cases.

Also, within your VM, see if it sees the pass-through by running dmesg from the shell.

geagle

Cadet
Check if your pass-through is still on the same PCI address. It's not very common for PCI addresses to change, but I've heard of it happening in rare cases.

Also, within your VM, see if it sees the pass-through by running dmesg from the shell.

The pass-through is still on the same address on the host. Running dmesg I can see the SAS controller and 5 out of the 6 connected drives.

Samuel Tai

OK, have you tried reseating that drive and its cable?

geagle

Cadet
OK, have you tried reseating that drive and its cable?
Yes, I have tried that. The drive is connected to a backplane, where the other drives on that cable/backplane is showing up. As stated earlier all six drives show up in Debian rescue mode inside the same VM, but not in TrueNAS. So I think is shouldn't be a physical problem, if it isn't a compatibility issue with TrueNAS.

Samuel Tai

Unfortunately, it appears XCP-NG and TrueNAS aren't happy together for some reason. The hypervisor with which there's the most track record of success is vmWare's ESXi. Even Hyper-V isn't fully solid with TrueNAS as a VM.

Instead of CORE, you might want to experiment with SCALE, as that's based on Debian instead of CORE's FreeBSD. You might have better luck with seeing the 6th disk.

geagle

Cadet
Unfortunately, it appears XCP-NG and TrueNAS aren't happy together for some reason. The hypervisor with which there's the most track record of success is vmWare's ESXi. Even Hyper-V isn't fully solid with TrueNAS as a VM.

Instead of CORE, you might want to experiment with SCALE, as that's based on Debian instead of CORE's FreeBSD. You might have better luck with seeing the 6th disk.
Okay, thank you very much. I have switched over to SCALE and the 6th drive showed up right away.