Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA on P420i not working

Kailee71

Contributor
Hi all,

Yes I know - don't do RAID controllers yada yada yada. This is for my ESXi boot drive, I have a TrueNAS Core VM in testing (again I know, don't do this etc but I'm passing an LSI pcie through to it).

So here's my question. I have two 250Gb Samsung M.2 *SATA* drives that will happily live on my LSI (immediately recognised & initialised), but when I hang them on my DL380p's onboard P420i they're not even showing up in the RBSU. Has anybody been able to use these on a P420i?

Many thanks in advance,

Kai.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes I know - don't do RAID controllers yada yada yada. This is for my ESXi boot drive, I have a TrueNAS Core VM in testing (again I know, don't do this etc but I'm passing an LSI pcie through to it).

You've correctly identified the caveats around using TrueNAS as a VM (PCIe passthrough of an HBA) and a RAID controller is perfectly fine for ESXi boot (as long as it can see your disks, that is) so no worries on that front.

Are you using the same M.2 converters and breakout cables for both the LSI and the P420i? The P420i should at least pick them up in the SmartArray config as "uninitialized" and let you be able to add them. I haven't had issue with consumer SSD on HP other than it refusing to see/properly poll certain SMART values (temperature and wear-leveling being the obvious two) although I haven't tried with an 860 EVO specifically.

Kailee71

Contributor
Oops - sorry for wasting everyone's time. It helps to plug in the SAS cable the right way. As soon as I spotted my mistake (should have noticed them not snapping in...) all worked perfectly.

My apologies for this silly, silly mistake. Best not do these things late at night anymore...

Kai.