Can't see second M.2 drive in Dual M.2 SATA Adapter

paradoxiom

Patron
Using this in JBOD mode with 2x SAMSUNG SSD PM871b M.2 2280 256GB

I can use supergrub and see both drives, I already put the boot on one by attaching it when it was a single device, I can boot from it, but truenas can't see the other drive anywhere.

It's not under disks or create / import pool, import disk, etc, I must be doing something simple wrong but I don't know what, other threads have no problems with this setup.

I set the switches on the inside of the unit to jbod mode as per the manual.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
other threads have no problems with this setup.

What other threads?

This is unsupported hardware, behind some sort of SATA port multiplier plus RAID trainwreck.

The only reason "other threads have no problems with this setup" is because of the zero people who have tried it, zero have been successful. But that is more of an "undefined result" than "100% success" as you imply...

paradoxiom

Patron
Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Most HBAs don't support SATA port multiplication. You could try it with the onboard controller of your motherboard, but it's not recommended to use port multipliers in general.

I can see situations where this device would be useful (eg: mirrored vSphere/OS boot device where software RAID isn't available) but its use within a ZFS context is pretty minimal.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I saw comments saying they'd be running that setup for years without issues somewhere

I'm sure that somewhere on the Internet, someone posted such a message somewhere.

Given the correct SATA controller with the correct SATA chipset and FreeBSD or Linux port multiplier support for that chipset which was 100% rock solid, this has a chance of running halfarse-well under limited circumstances. However, even assuming the right conditions, you'd be bottlenecking because the output is being multiplexed on a single SATA connection, which is going to cause it to perform very poorly. There is no fixing that.

This is why you don't want to listen to random people out on the Intarwebz, because often they couldn't figure out what the obvious issues are even if someone came along with a clue-bat and pounded clues into their head.

Worse, if you actually read the links I provided above, you'll find that even the fine folks at BackBlaze, who had significant financial incentive to "make it work," finally gave up on SATA port multipliers. The number of truly safe-to-use combinations is pretty low, and practical issues such as reliable sourcing of parts on an ongoing basis was difficult. This means that it is difficult, certainly not impossible, but definitely difficult, to find a SATA controller that isn't a knockoff AND actually supports PM's well, and then a PM that is compatible with it, AND works reliably. So it isn't that there is no possibility, it's just that it's really hard and you'd need a real good reason.

Around here, we have a bunch of resources that are provided by people who have experience with FreeNAS/TrueNAS, plus a whole community of people who are checking and doublechecking their handiwork, so multiple sets of eyeballs typically fall upon bad information, and the bad information doesn't survive the experience...

Now, I don't really know what your goal is here. Your typical SATA SSD can handle north of 500MBytes/sec read and write. Loading two of them onto a single SATA channel will lower this to around 200-225MBytes/sec, average, when both of them are active (you lose a little to the overhead caused by contention). If this is just for a boot device, it could be okay if you can find a compatible AHCI SATA controller that also supports PM. On the other hand, if you are just looking for dense ways to hook up M.2 SSD, there are products like the Silverstone SDP11 that allow you to hook up four M.2 SATA SSD's to a single SATA power lead, and it provides four SATA data connections that are compatible with HBA's, SATA AHCI ports, etc. We use a modified variant of these in servers here, one stacked on top of another with spacers, to get 8 SSD's stored in a 3.5" FH space.

paradoxiom

Patron
The goal was to add a mirrored boot pool with limited space.

I tried plugging it straight into the motherboard and same deal. oh well.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

I tried plugging it straight into the motherboard and same deal. oh well.

You may have to settle for a high quality USB thumb drive as part of a boot mirror. Depending on what you've got for a mainboard, a SATA DOM may also be an option.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I recommend the Silverstone SDP11 that @jgreco recommended if you have a 3.5" bay for it.

TrueNAS is capable of creating mirrored boot environments on heterogeneous boot configs so it could even be a SATADOM + single M.2 or an onboard M.2 (NVMe or SATA) and a 2.5" SSD.

The Dell BOSS-S1 AIC is an option as well but it eats a valuable PCIe slot and isn't particularly inexpensive or compatible with all M.2 drives.

paradoxiom

Patron

Arwen

MVP
@paradoxiom The new device you've listed, is for mSATA SSDs, which is a totally in-compatible design to M.2.

mSATA is a modified standard of the Mini-PCIe slot, changing the PCIe lane into a SATA port. This Mini-PCIe & mSATA came before the fancy and complicated standard of M.2. So, you may still be able to find mSATA drives. Many are going to be from no-name brands, as the name brands have moved production to the more profitable M.2 type, (NVMe or SATA).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Look for the Transcend SSD 370S series if you need a reliable mSATA device as a boot drive.

paradoxiom

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If I stick both M.2 cards in the startech dual thing and set it to stripe raid, will truenas see it as a single drive I can use for something else?

Probably not, and it's a horrible idea to try. See the posts I linked in the first reply in this thread.

paradoxiom

Patron
Ah yeah. so basically just use it as a single one then? I scratched it all up trying to shove it inside my Gen10 microserver so I can't even return it, was £40 too.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm guessing it will work fine as a single, yes. This assumes that there's one of the semi-normal port multiplier chips in there. These are usually safe as long as you don't actually try to use the secondary ports.

paradoxiom

Patron
Well it's been running fine since I started the topic as my primary boot pool, and today my secondary (same M.2 drive but in the sabrent enclosure) failed and just isn't even being detected on bootup.