Jails Disk: M.2 PCIe adapter + M.2 SSD vs SATA-DOM

felippe

Dabbler
Hello all,

I intend to use the syncthing plugin to automatically save the pictures taken with the smarphones on a TrueNAS dataset. My understanding is that the plugins are installed in jails (are they similar to containers?), and the best practice is to have these jails not on the same disks as the data disks, but on a dataset (or a Zvol?) created on a pool on a different disk.

Currently the server has 2x 3.5" HDDs for data storage and 1x 2.5" SSD for the boot drive, with no room to install any other 2.5" or 3.5" drive. The motherboard is Supermicro X11SSL-F.

For this "jails" disk I am looking to get a cheap M.2 PCIe adapter and a cheap, low capacity, SATA3 M.2 SSD. The alternative is to purchase a SATA DOM, but this will be more expensive.

Are there any pros and cons for using one method to add storage over the other?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Putting jails on a separate dataset (not zvol) can make sense, if performance would otherwise be impacted. But I would certainly not go so far as to make a categorical recommendation out of it. I am running a syncthing jail on my main data pool without issues. Why not giving it a try and see how it goes?