Asus Hyper m.2 PCIe Adapter

John Doe

Guru
Hi Folks

just wanted to ask you guys if someone has that Asus Hyper M.2 Adapter in use in combination with ESXi (or similar hypervisor) and Truenas

I would like to build a new system and wonder if this HBA can be passed thru to truenas.

Single SSD passthru possible
all SSD passthru possible
even possible to passthru the controller?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There is no controller per se. PCIe slot to M.2 adapters are (in 99% of cases) transparent or close to it. The fancier ones have PCIe switches for added compatibility (and cost), but in all cases, individual SSDs are independent PCIe devices.

Last edited:

John Doe

Guru
cool, then i can expect it shall just work fine

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Make sure your mainboard supports PCIe bifurcation for the x16 slot you intend to use.

Arwen

MVP
I second @Patrick M. Hausen's comment. A single M.2 NVMe, (NOT SATA), will work fine, (in the proper slot). But, unless your motherboard will bifurcate those 16 PCIe lanes into 4 x 4, additional M.2 NVMe won't work.

If you need multiple M.2 NVMe on a single PCIe card, without that motherboard bifurcation support, then the PCIe card must have a PCIe switch which does the bifurcation for you.

This assumes the card is this one:
Amazon - ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card

John Doe

Guru
I second @Patrick M. Hausen's comment. A single M.2 NVMe, (NOT SATA), will work fine, (in the proper slot). But, unless your motherboard will bifurcate those 16 PCIe lanes into 4 x 4, additional M.2 NVMe won't work.

If you need multiple M.2 NVMe on a single PCIe card, without that motherboard bifurcation support, then the PCIe card must have a PCIe switch which does the bifurcation for you.

This assumes the card is this one:
Amazon - ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card

yep its that one.

i am aware of bifurcation, however thanks for pointing it out, good to keep that in mind.

idea is to get a hypervisor like esxi or proxmox
1x truenas vm with the m.2 adapter passed thru, populated with 2x2x 1tb (mirror), storage passed back to hypervisor for:

1x vm debian for daily desktop usage
1x vm windows 10 gaming machine, pixel accelerator passed thru

-> debian for daily use, windows for gaming, truenas for easy backups and easy rollbacks, since i am good in breaking things