Does using TrueNAS as a Hyper-V VM make sense?

chipconnjohn

Cadet
Hello All,

I'm looking for a replacement for a QNAP Nas which is getting old. We have about 4 TB of data on it.

We have a Dell PowerEdge T340 which is running Server 2019 Std and has one Hyper-V VM running Server 2019 standard for AD and GP. It has 64GB RAM, a PERC H730p RAID controller with 6 x 4TB SATA drives in a RAID 6.

There is plenty of storage on the server.

My question is, would using TrueNas in a Hyper-V VM make sense? From everything I'm reading a lot of the power of TrueNas is gained by it living on the physical hardware. The server has about 20 users, but really only 5-6 simultaneous users at a time. There are big file syncs that happen with remote users at night a few times a week. (They work on big graphics files locally, then store backups of those jobs on the server once or twice a week over VPN.)

Thanks much,
-John

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The power of TrueNAS comes from ZFS having direct access to the disk drives. Using a "hardware RAID" or even worse virtual disk images brings a high probability of data loss.

OTOH with that server in place and working why not just use this for SMB file sharing?

chipconnjohn

Cadet
The power of TrueNAS comes from ZFS having direct access to the disk drives. Using a "hardware RAID" or even worse virtual disk images brings a high probability of data loss.

OTOH with that server in place and working why not just use this for SMB file sharing?
Right, forgot a detail. Half the office is Mac. Originally, there was going to be a Server 2019 file server, but the Macs had all sorts of problems. The Linux versions of SMB work better.

My idea with TrueNas is to have a an established system that I can roll out vs building my own with say, Ubuntu.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then deploy a dedicated TrueNAS system integrated with your AD. Don't use virtualised TrueNAS with virtual disks in a business context, please. This is a sure road to disaster.

You can run virtualised TrueNAS if you have a dedicated SAS HBA that you pass through to the VM and a completely separate set of disks connected to that HBA and hence TrueNAS.