Microsoft Hyper-V as Guest in TrueNAS Scale

Isaac039

Cadet
Brand new to TrueNAS Scale, just did my first build yesterday. My current aim with this build is to have one VM running Windows Server to function as a DC, then a separate VM running Windows Hyper-V Server 2019.

Setting up the DC was straightforward, running well, joining PCs and everything without issue. Getting the Hyper-V VM going was also easy enough up until I started in on the first VM within Hyper-V. The problem I'm having with the VMs within Hyper-V is they aren't getting an adequate network connection to be able to get to the internet.

I've been searching through various forums here and across the internet between TrueNAS, Hyper-V and whatever else seems applicable with no positive results. The issue appears to be occurring within Hyper-V but may be as a result of configs within TrueNAS that I'm unfamiliar with. Hyper-V is getting a valid network connection but creating an "external" connection within Hyper-V for the VMs results in the VMs receiving a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP.

I'm incredibly grateful for any assistance that can be provided.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report. Because none of us have your unusual setup, you are going to have to provide some additional clues such as investigating what packets are being forwarded and whether or not they are being NAT'ed correctly. Suggested tools would be Wireshark and ping on the Windows VM and tcpdump and ping on a FreeBSD or Linux host on the real network (possibly the NAS host itself, but that comes with risks).

Isaac039

Cadet
As far as more specific info for my setup. I'm running the latest version of TrueNAS Scale on a Dell Optiplex 7050 with the onboard Intel NIC. Storage and RAM specs don't seem necessary to include given the nature of my issue but please let me know if it that is helpful at all.

As far as my networking setup goes, it is very straightforward with nothing special configured, customized or otherwise. Coming from my ISP it goes modem->router->switch with the switch feeding my TrueNAS box. My modem is nothing special, just an "owned" Motorola modem and my router is also nothing special without any advanced configs, firmware or anything. I do have my Hyper-V VM within TrueNAS set to look at my DC's IP for DNS with my router's IP as the secondary. Other devices I have similarly setup are working just fine.

Let me know if there's anything else that would be helpful.

Thanks!

sirhimel

Cadet
Did you ever figure this out? Wondering if it'd be possible to have Hyper-V running under TrueNAS Scale just as a fail-over option for my other Hyper-V host.

Isaac039

Cadet
Unfortunately I haven't been able to sort this out yet. Pretty frustrating as I feel I've exhausted all possible options but feel it should work as intended.

sretalla