Does TrueNAS Scale installation support AQC-107 10G chips by default?

sinbeta

Cadet
Hi folks,
Does Truenas installation support AQC-107 10G chips by default? Where can I download the 10GB networking support list of TrueNAS scale?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Save your sanity, and choose a different 10G NIC. Per the Hardware Guide, use Intel or Chelsio 10G NICs for best results.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

tsm37

Dabbler
AQC-107 sounds like the chip that Asus uses in its C100C 10 Gbps NIC. For what is worth, Asus C100C does work in Truenas Scale because I tested it and it was able to negotiate / maintain a 10 Gbps connection with my switch.. At the end of the day, I went to Intel 10 Gbps NIC for stability and compatibility. And yes, get the genuine cards like pulls from retired HP or Dell servers.

Another note about Asus C100C NIC, the ones on the market are V2 and the Windows driver is really bad (both Win 10 and 11) and the card persistently unable to maintain a 10 Gbps link and drop to 5 Gbps. Nothing is wrong with the ACQ-107 chipset as it's just bad driver for windows and Asus has zero support on it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
[..] Asus C100C does work in Truenas Scale because I tested it and it was able to negotiate / maintain a 10 Gbps connection with my switch.
I don't want to be impolite, but that is not a proper definition of "it works". It means exactly what you wrote, but nothing more. Working in a business-critical context also includes things like:
  • Does the devices fail correctly and quickly if some external factors like cable quality are not 100% up to specification? Or will it silently corrupt data and only fail later?
  • Does the device work with all possible switches (or at least the relevant ones)?
  • How does the device behave under continuously heavy load?
  • What happens if cooling is insufficient?
Just wanted to make people aware that an initial positive test result, as happy as I am for you, is by far not sufficient to make a purchase recommendation. And that is what many folks would read from the "it works" statement.

And to address the argument "it is a private NAS and not business-critical": Are you willing to loose all the pictures and videos from your children when they were little?

Probably those arguments are not relevant as such for everybody. But I think it helps to look beyond the obvious and think deeper. And if someone then comes to the conclusion to still buy this card, that is fine.

Hope that helps.

tsm37

Dabbler
I don't want to be impolite, but that is not a proper definition of "it works". It means exactly what you wrote, but nothing more. Working in a business-critical context also includes things like:
  • Does the devices fail correctly and quickly if some external factors like cable quality are not 100% up to specification? Or will it silently corrupt data and only fail later?
  • Does the device work with all possible switches (or at least the relevant ones)?
  • How does the device behave under continuously heavy load?
  • What happens if cooling is insufficient?
Just wanted to make people aware that an initial positive test result, as happy as I am for you, is by far not sufficient to make a purchase recommendation. And that is what many folks would read from the "it works" statement.

And to address the argument "it is a private NAS and not business-critical": Are you willing to loose all the pictures and videos from your children when they were little?

Probably those arguments are not relevant as such for everybody. But I think it helps to look beyond the obvious and think deeper. And if someone then comes to the conclusion to still buy this card, that is fine.

Hope that helps.
In my view, you are being impolite with your tone and by quoting a specific part comment that I made about Asus C100C because you make it sound like I just went with something "that
works" without considering other factors, but did I not say I ultimately went with a different product (Intel NIC) and the reasons? People who resesrch on hardware etc will need to read between the lines on what the full responses say by others rather than pick & choose statements and drawing a conclusion from an "initial positive test result" which is on them.

The op who posted his question did not provide any specific details on his use case and stuff. His ask was very generic. Op asked specifically about that chipset and I responded directly on that chipset using a related product as an example and what I know about it that may help his/her continued research.

sinbeta

Cadet
Hi folks,
Calm down! I just want to looking for some helps to check the NIC support list with TrueNAS Scale due to it's the first time for me to try to install TrueNAS with my DIY NAS. I'm not sure if my purchasing inspur and Asus C100C NIC with intel X540-T2 chips is good to use. If there is hardware guidance for TrueNAS installation, it will be better for me. Unfortunatly I can't figure out the hardware NIC support list with TrueNAS scale.
appreciate your understanding with a fresh guys looking for help!

sinbeta

Cadet
AQC-107 sounds like the chip that Asus uses in its C100C 10 Gbps NIC. For what is worth, Asus C100C does work in Truenas Scale because I tested it and it was able to negotiate / maintain a 10 Gbps connection with my switch.. At the end of the day, I went to Intel 10 Gbps NIC for stability and compatibility. And yes, get the genuine cards like pulls from retired HP or Dell servers.

Another note about Asus C100C NIC, the ones on the market are V2 and the Windows driver is really bad (both Win 10 and 11) and the card persistently unable to maintain a 10 Gbps link and drop to 5 Gbps. Nothing is wrong with the ACQ-107 chipset as it's just bad driver for windows and Asus has zero support on it.
Thanks folks, it's very helpful for me to look for some other NIC with intel chips

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi folks,
Calm down! I just want to looking for some helps to check the NIC support list with TrueNAS Scale due to it's the first time for me to try to install TrueNAS with my DIY NAS. I'm not sure if my purchasing inspur and Asus C100C NIC with intel X540-T2 chips is good to use. If there is hardware guidance for TrueNAS installation, it will be better for me. Unfortunatly I can't figure out the hardware NIC support list with TrueNAS scale.
appreciate your understanding with a fresh guys looking for help!

Check out the 10 Gig Networking Primer for information on recommended cards. There is a significant difference between "working" cards and "recommended" cards as noted above; the Aquantia AQC thing is garbage intended for client-side use. Cards like the Aquantia and Realtek cards are meant to be low cost cards to sell to users who don't know the difference. They may not handle high traffic rates well, may not do offloading, and may not handle simultaneous streams particularly well. Most cards "work". There's only a handful that are "recommended" though.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@tsm37 , I am sorry if you perceive it like that. It was certainly not intended this way.

Interestingly, my motivation for this post was somewhat linked to the argument you make. I agree with you that you did not recommend this card. The reason I went ahead and wrote what I wrote, is that too many people read what they want to read unless very explicitly told how things are. So I basically wanted to reduce the chance of someone misunderstanding your post as even remotely recommending this card.

I concede that it would have been better to add this to the original posting. Thanks for the comment!