Does Scale still make sense?

headwhacker

Dabbler
Ok thanks for the heads up. I'll see how it goes when I play with it.

IOSonic

Explorer
The rest of the storage ecosystem isn't standing still. Today, I learned OpenMediaVault supports ZFS on Linux via plugins and Docker containers. Scale-out storage has been available from cloud providers for several years now. Does Scale still make sense, business-wise? Or will it be defunct on release?

I suppose that depends on who your customers are.

You mention OMV, so I assume you're talking about the value for home users; anyone using that for business purposes is committing professional suicide. I think it's the perfect solution for a home power user who wants to build labs but cannot afford the licensing and hardware for discrete infrastructures across a variety of platforms.

In the enterprise, I also see a trend towards eliminating datacenter equipment. Lifecycle refresh costs, support and risk/upkeep is convincing many to offload some stuff to the cloud. That being said, manufacturers are pushing the leased, hyper-converged bit for the stuff that remains. I don't know what iXsystem's customer profile looks like, but if there are small - medium businesses and service providers in there, I personally see value.

As for the K8s, I would assume a business would setup its own infrastructure for that. But I'm certainly not complaining that it's in there and look forward to using it.