Does not have any matching snapshots to replicate

John Radtke

Dabbler
I have updated from 11.3 to 12 to 13
I have two(2) machines....Main and Backup both were upgraded.

The Main('Master-Server') machine is configured to backup to the Backup('FreeNAS_BKU').
The Master-Server machine is working fine as a data sever with SMB shares to many windows computers
I have not had any issues for years now while they were both rev 11.3.

Now since upgrading... I get 'Replication "FreeNAS_BKU" failed: Dataset 'Master-Server' does not have any matching snapshots to replicate'

I have looked at the Replication Tasks,
I looked at creating a New Replication Task and I find that in the Source window... "Source Is Required'......clicking on the folder.....there is nothing to select from......

I also see that the old source path which has the letters SMB in the path are highlighted in RED.

The Destination window folders will open fine to select a path.
Any ideas here ?

Thank you

Attachments

• Replication.jpg
    Replication.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Replication2.jpg
    Replication2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 525
Are your screenshots showing the existing task or the new one you're trying to create?

clicking on the folder.....there is nothing to select from......
What about clicking on the "arrow" next to the folder?

I also see that the old source path which has the letters SMB in the path are highlighted in RED.
What do you mean? I don't see this in your screenshots.

Whattteva

Wizard
It means the system can't find any snapshots matching the name that starts with "Master-Server/SMB_Windows1-auto"
What's the output of zfs list -rt snapshot?

Last edited:

John Radtke

Dabbler
To - winnielinnie ...click the arrow next to the folder does nothing
To- Whatteva ....output returns zsh: no matches found: snapshot?

Whattteva

Wizard
To - winnielinnie ...click the arrow next to the folder does nothing
To- Whatteva ....output returns zsh: no matches found: snapshot?
Can you actually copy-paste your screen with the command and output? Just wanted to make sure that you put it in correctly.

Akshunhiro

Dabbler
Sorry to hijack but I just got caught out by this.

I had to deselect the parent dataset (assuming that's what it is and not the pool name) to get the task to start.

But, one thing I did notice, if I expand "backup", nothing is selected underneath.

Not sure if "Recursive" will take care of that but I assumed "Recursive" could be applied to the parent dataset...

Attachments

• ReplicationTask.png
    ReplicationTask.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Akshunhiro

Dabbler
Okay, we good. Sheesh...

Attachments

• ReplicationTaskProgress.png
    ReplicationTaskProgress.png
    10 KB · Views: 492

John Radtke

Dabbler
Found a couple of things...
Backup Computer did not update to TrueNAS 13....
Updated Backup computer to 13......
Still would not replicate unless option to Replication from scratch option was selected.
I also Had to delete the backup data set on the backup pc and recreate it before replicate on Main pc was enabled
Then it replicated - worked ok
Thank You

Akshunhiro

Dabbler
Gah, this is frustrating. So I've setup a new pool and trying to move data back.
Replication was successful to the temp pool but I can't do the same thing moving it all back.

When checking the snapshots, they're all listed. But when I try to replicate a dataset, it says there are no snapshots to send. I setup a snapshot task for the datasets I want to replicate but it's only moving the latest.

Also seems the replication task borked another dataset and stripped it of snapshots since the size dropped a couple of terrabytes.
I was replicating dataset to dataset though so not sure why this non-specified dataset was affected.

e.g. surebrec/downloads - cerberus/downloads wiped out snapshots on cerberus/backup

I moved 5.8 TiB yesterday and now it's down to 3.2

Is there a command I can put into cli to recursively replicate all datasets with their snapshots to the new pool?

Attachments

• Backup.png
    Backup.png
    543.1 KB · Views: 510

Whattteva

Wizard
Is there a command I can put into cli to recursively replicate all datasets with their snapshots to the new pool?
Code:
zfs send -Rcv <source-dataset@snapshot> | zfs recv -F <destination-dataset>

If you have an existing common snapshot between the two though, you probably would want to pass the -i/I flag to make it a lot faster. Be aware that the combination of -R and -F will wipe out any snapshots and/or datasets on the target system that don't exist on the source. I suspect, this is probably what happened to you.

Akshunhiro

Dabbler
Okay, I think I've got it now. After more research, I realised I can't send (or receive) to the top level dataset.

I was getting these errors;

Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv -F cerberus
total estimated size is 5.80T
cannot receive new filesystem stream: zfs receive -F cannot be used to destroy an encrypted filesystem or overwrite an unencrypted one with an encrypted one

Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv cerberus
cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination 'cerberus' exists

It's now churning through backup;

Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv cerberus/backup
TIME        SENT   SNAPSHOT surebrec/backup@auto-20200618.0000-6m

Hopefully, once that's done, I can do the same with surebrec/downloads

Akshunhiro

Dabbler
So that was a great learning experience.

Had a transfer stall and didn't have inherited encryption on the migrated dataset.

For anyone else trying to do this, you should enter the -s flag on the zfs recv side so you can resume it if it stalls.

e.g.
Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv -s cerberus/backup

If the transfer fails for whatever reason, you'll need to retrieve the resume token.

Code:
zfs get -H -o value receive_resume_token cerberus/backup

Then enter this command to resume (where X is your token).
Code:
zfs send -t 'XXXXXX' | zfs recv -vs cerberus/downloads

To inherit encryption, add "-x encryption" e.g.
Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv -s -x encryption cerberus/backup

To point to an existing key.
Code:
zfs send -Rcv surebrec/backup@migrate | zfs recv -s -o encryption=on -o keyformat=passphrase -o keylocation=file:///path/to/keyfile