Remote replications fails due to no snapshots

mauzilla

Dabbler
I am trying to replicate from a remote source / location to my server. Both servers are truenas 13 core - I am able to create a SSH connection and even select the path I want to replicate, but immediately see an alert "no snapshots" - Starting the job also returns:

Dataset 'RAIDZ2-22TB-FILE-BACKUPS/backups' does not have any matching snapshots to replicate.

I tried creating a custom snapshot of the remote location but even after that the error remains that there are no snapshots. I have another task running where the source is local and replicating to a remote destination, and I am sure the task automatically created snapshot task schedule, but I am not sure how to perform the needed snapshot creation schedule so that it ties in with my replication task.

Any advice?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
When you're saying "replicate" do you mean you already have content/datasets on both sides and you want to make them equal?

Normally, replication will take content on one side and bring (or send) it to the other side.

In order to properly establish it, you need the side with the content to already have snapshots (or set that to be done in the replication job) and the remote side should be empty (or if it is already populated from a zfs send|recv, must contain all the existing snapshots matching the source up to a point).

I would suggest starting with an empty remote side.

mauzilla

Dabbler
When you're saying "replicate" do you mean you already have content/datasets on both sides and you want to make them equal?

Normally, replication will take content on one side and bring (or send) it to the other side.

In order to properly establish it, you need the side with the content to already have snapshots (or set that to be done in the replication job) and the remote side should be empty (or if it is already populated from a zfs send|recv, must contain all the existing snapshots matching the source up to a point).

I would suggest starting with an empty remote side.
I have an existing dataset on the remote source which I want to replicate to the local destination. The local destination does not have the dataset yet (it's an empty dataset on the destination side). I am essentially making a backup of a backup but off site.

Unfortunately I cannot start with an empty remote side as it already has data, so I want to replicate what is on the remote to my local destination. How do I set in the replication job that it needs to create a snapshot on the remote source?

1660382638815.png

Etorix

Wizard
Unfortunately I cannot start with an empty remote side as it already has data, so I want to replicate what is on the remote to my local destination. How do I set in the replication job that it needs to create a snapshot on the remote source?
If you already have snapshots on the remote source and are confident that the local destination is empty (or that the content of the target dataset can be erased), tick "Synchronise Destination Snapshots With Source".