Replication pull fails

2otherjobs

Cadet
USECASE: I am trying to set up PULL replication using FreeNAS as a receiving host. The remote (data source) is a non-root zpool/zfs fileset on a freebsd server (same LAN) running FreeBsd 12.1-stable. The receiving host runs the latest version of FreeNAS (11.3-U2.1). The host zfs filesystem is on a zpool used only for archiving purposes (not for FreeNAS root or jails). No problem with SSH connectivity between the remote and host.

FreeNAS Host:
  • Motherboard make and model: SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F
  • CPU make and model: Xeon D-1521
  • RAM quantity: ECC 16 Gb
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives: 4 x 4gb WD Red in zfs-raidz1. Boot drive: nvme CT500P1SSD8
  • Hard disk controllers: SATA 6 on motherboard
  • Network cards: Intel® D-1500 SoC 10GbE Controller(embedded)
FreeBSD Remote:

• Motherboard make and model: SuperMicro X10SDV-6c+-TLN4F
  • CPU make and model: Xeon D-1528
  • RAM quantity: ECC 16 Gb
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives: 4 x 4gb WD Red in zfs-raidz1. Boot drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB
  • Hard disk controllers: SATA 6 on motherboard
  • Network cards: Intel® D-1500 SoC 10GbE Controller(embedded)
TASK CREATION: Done from the ADVANCED page
Selected: Source and Destination. Properties, Replicate from scratch if incremental is not possible. Destination Dataset Read-Only Policy is set to IGNORE.
NOT Selected: Run Automatically, Schedule, Snapshot Replication Schedule, Only Replicate Snapshots Matching Schedule.

ERROR: This is from the FreeNAS Tasks/Replication Tasks page.
[/CODE]
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [Thread-55] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_6] [chan 2] EOF received (2)
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.base_ssh.root@AAA.B.C.XXX.shell.40.async_exec.344] Success: 'archive/data@2020-04-26-10540\n'
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_6] [chan 2] EOF sent (2)
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.345] Running ['zfs', 'list', '-t', 'filesystem,volume', '-H', '-o', 'name,readonly', '-s', 'name', '-d', '1', 's2host/archive/data']
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.345] Success: 's2host/archive/data\toff\n'
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.346] Running ['zfs', 'list', '-t', 'snapshot', '-H', '-o', 'name', '-s', 'name', '-d', '1', 's2host/archive/data']
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.346] Success: ''
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.347] Running ['zfs', 'get', '-H', '-p', 'receive_resume_token', 's2host/archive/data']
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] DEBUG [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.transport.local.shell.1.async_exec.347] Success: 's2host/archive/data\treceive_resume_token\t-\t-\n'
[2020/04/26 12:28:17] INFO [replication_task__task_6] [zettarepl.replication.run] No snapshots to send for replication task 'task_6' on dataset 'archive/data'

(end of log for the task)

Comment: The second line from this log suggests that the task found a snapshot on the remote/source, yet the last line says 'No snapshots to send for replication task'...

ADDITIONAL STEPS:
Initially, I ran the task with old snapshots on the source and no snapshots on the host. Then I tried creating a snapshot on the host and rerunning the task. Then I deleted all snapshots on both and reran the task. I created a single snapshot on each, then on both and tried rerunning the task. In all cases, I got the same error. FWIW, I have been able to successfully replicate between zfs filesets on separate zpools on the host. I have also been able to send zfs filesets from the remote to the host (from FreeBSD to FreeNAS) using a FreeBSD zfs send/receive utility called znapzend, so replication in the other direction is working.

I find the error puzzling because manually created snapshots on the remote/source do not seem to be 'seen' by the FreeNAS/host replication task

Any help? I planned to migrate the FreeBSD server to FreeNAS once this problem is solved; I need to be able to replicate back and forth between the two servers without hitches. Is this a bug?

2otherjobs

SMnasMAN

Contributor
hi, do you have the snapshot Naming Schema set properly so that the GUI shows "X snapshots found" (x = not zero) (i think older FN 11.3 versions may not have had this "X snapshots found" gui element though)

(imo snapshot Naming Schema should be an option, not a requirement, but thats a separate issue)

see my post here with some screenshots;