Snapshots schema: what is a good configuration?

neptunus

Cadet
I watch many videos of Tom from Lawrence Systems. Always fun and educational videos! Last period there was another update about: "How To Use TrueNAS ZFS Snapshots For Ransomware Protection & VSS Shadow Copies".
I have to admit that I also asked within the video the question below. I also consciously ask the question on the forum here. With the hope that someone will respond, but even better that other users may also benefit from the replies.

After seeing this video I was thinking a bit about how I arranged my snapshots. I am a home user with a much too luxurious network and servers. Oh well. hobby may cost something and if the family also benefits from it. WIN WIN. Before you correct me :smile: : yes I know snapshots are not backups! Anyhow, I am curious if someone would like to look at the snapshot setup below and and want to share her/his thoughts.

My setup on my ZFS pool:
Hourly
Snapshot Lifetime: 24 HOURS
Schedule: Hourly (0 * * * *) at the start of each hour
Allow Taking Empty Snapshots: disabled

Daily
Snapshot Lifetime: 7 DAYS
Schedule: Daily (0 0 * * *) at 00:00 (12:00 AM)
Allow Taking Empty Snapshots: enabled

Weekly
Snapshot Lifetime: 4 WEEKS
Schedule: Weekly (0 0 * * sun) on Sundays at 00:00 (12:00 AM)

Monthly
Snapshot Lifetime: 12 MONTHS
Schedule: Monthly (0 0 1 * *) on the first day of the month at 00:00 (12:00 AM)

Yearly
Snapshot Lifetime: 2 YEARS
Schedule: Custom (0 0 1 jan *)

indy

Patron
I have a similar setup for similar purposes.
Mine is reduced to daily (kept 30 days) and monthly (kept 1-5 years) snapshots tough.
I am happy with both the granularity and the amount of snapshots at any point (not too many).