Does it matter as long as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orddie

Contributor
Hi All,

I have a slew of 10k SAS drives sitting around, an LSI MegaRaid SAS 9211, and two Intel x520 10GBE cards. the things i do not have sitting around is a MoBo, proc, and ECC which were on the recommended hardware listing.

My first test showed that my white box vmware host was able to push 2GBps to host using the following
asrock x99m
64gb ram
8x 450gb 10k Sas drives
using the LSI MegaRaid SAS 9211
connected to the host using x520 cards.
intel 5820k

im thinking replacing the ram with ECC would be okay to make this box a solid option.

but than i read the stuff / flames about hating on consumer grade MoBo's.

So? what say you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The motherboard may not have proper ECC support at all. You'd also need a Xeon E5, since the i7s don't support ECC.

orddie

Contributor
i guess why i really ask is im struggling to find what would be considered server grade hardware with 2 8x PCI (one for HBA and one for 10GBE).
The motherboard may not have proper ECC support at all. You'd also need a Xeon E5, since the i7s don't support ECC.

right. i guess my point here is i ASSUME most of the issues the community has with consumer grade equipment is NICS and storage interfaces. If that's right, i think i have both covered and am only missing the ECC requirement. Do i have the understanding correct?

Jeremy MItchell

Dabbler
i guess why i really ask is im struggling to find what would be considered server grade hardware with 2 8x PCI (one for HBA and one for 10GBE).

From the research I've been doing (looking at Skylake E3 boards), many of the Supermicro motherboards have 2 PCIE x8 (one in an x8 and one in an x16 slot).

orddie

Contributor
From the research I've been doing (looking at Skylake E3 boards), many of the Supermicro motherboards have 2 PCIE x8 (one in an x8 and one in an x16 slot).

thanks! the 8x is needed for both HBA and 10GBE cards since neither comes smaller than 8x. i got a board ( a good pric) and sadly only has a single 16x and 2x 4x. kinda upset at this but stupid me. Hence the reason for the thread.. if consumer important parts are replaced, im wanting to know if im good or not.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
???

Literally every single recommended motherboard larger than miniITX has at least two PCIe x8 slots, the vast majority of which are really wired for x8. I don't know where you've been searching, but you might want to take a look at the hardware recommendations guide linked in my sig.

right. i guess my point here is i ASSUME most of the issues the community has with consumer grade equipment is NICS and storage interfaces. If that's right, i think i have both covered and am only missing the ECC requirement. Do i have the understanding correct
Extra crap like audio can also be a pain in the ass, but yeah, your system isn't a disaster waiting to happen, just not recommended. You also miss out on IPMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.