Dell PE R720xd as FreeNAS Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvenable

Cadet
I'm looking at using a Dell PowerEdge R720xd chassis as a FreeNAS host and was wondering if I'm on the right track here. I know that I can't use the built-in PERC H710P controller, so I plan on getting an LSI HBA of some sort. One of my main questions is which HBA I would need to get for this. I'm not exactly sure how the backplane for the 720xd (3.5" chassis) is configured, and how many cables I would actually need to plug in. In the user manual for the server, they show 3 SAS cables plugged into the backplane, running to the integrated H710P controller. Would I then need to get an HBA that has 4 ports, versus something like the LSI 9207-8i?

Also, I was planning on using the Dell/HGST 10TB SAS drives. I know these are 12Gbps drives, but they should still work with a 6Gbps SAS controller, correct?

Here is my current build-list
  • Dell R720xd (3.5" chassis), 2x Xeon E5-2640, 128GB RAM
  • LSI 9207-8i SAS HBA
  • 1x Intel X520-DA2 10GbE NIC
  • 1x Intel I350-T4 1GbE NIC
  • 12x 10TB Dell/HGST 7.2k SAS HDDs, split into 2 or 3 pools

Do you see any other issues with this build, aside from my aforementioned concerns?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Would I then need to get an HBA that has 4 ports, versus something like the LSI 9207-8i?
Either four ports on one card OR two of the 9207 cards, I think the board in that machine has the PCIe slots
for the installation of two HBAs. I would see if you can get a PDF guide or manual for the backplane in that
chassis. Any way you go, there's going to be some kind of adapter cable to attach the HBA card to the backplane.
Also, I was planning on using the Dell/HGST 10TB SAS drives. I know these are 12Gbps drives, but they should still work with a 6Gbps SAS controller, correct?
Yes they will, at 6Gbps of course!

kvenable

Cadet
Yeah, this is what the backplane looks like on the 720xd 3.5" chassis

oCBXpDF.png

Further in the user-guide, the 3 ports are labeled "SAS A1" "SAS A" and "SAS B". I have a feeling I probably actually only need to hook up SAS A and SAS B to the HBA?

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You can upload image files right to the forum with the Upload a File button. you can choose to place a thumbnail or a full image. The members prefer this method vs. clicking on a link. ;)

Further in the user-guide, the 3 ports are labeled "SAS A1" "SAS A" and "SAS B". I have a feeling I probably actually only need to hook up SAS A and SAS B to the HBA?

If you only have to connect to two ports on the BP, then your 9207-8i will do the trick.
Good luck and keep us up to date with your build :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.