Docker support for in SCALE-23.10.0.1

dibun

Cadet
I am running SCALE-23.10.0.1 and I know there is only support for k8s. Is there any way to use docker and use docker-compose to build and use images?

LarsR

Guru
Not from the base OS, since docker was completely removed with cobia. you can run a linux vm and run native docker in the vm, try the docker-compose app from truecharts which was using the docker-in-docker principle or an experimental script for linux jail, where you could just install portainer and manage your apps there.

dibun

Cadet
Not from the base OS, since docker was completely removed with cobia. you can run a linux vm and run native docker in the vm, try the docker-compose app from truecharts which was using the docker-in-docker principle or an experimental script for linux jail, where you could just install portainer and manage your apps there.
Is this something possible?

https://github.com/Jip-Hop/ubernerd

dibun

Cadet
I don't think that script is working in Cobia 23.10.

There is no ability to run Kubernetes and this concurrently and safely. So its unsupportably
So the only way to run docker is via Linux VM? I am trying to avoid a VM as it will consume extra CPU and RAM.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So the only way to run docker is via Linux VM? I am trying to avoid a VM as it will consume extra CPU and RAM.
Docker containers run just fine.

Docker Compose is via VM or via trueCharts app.

sfatula

Guru
I am running SCALE-23.10.0.1 and I know there is only support for k8s. Is there any way to use docker and use docker-compose to build and use images?
You can build all the images you want, on any machine other than Scale, maybe your desktop for example. Then put them into your repository, then load them into Scale which will gladly run them. Probably the right way to do that anyway since you'd presumably want to test them before deploying. I build all my x86_64 images on a Raspberry Pi just fine.

NugentS

MVP
Got multiple confirmation on reddit that the jail-maker script is still working.
There is jailmaker and ubernerd - both are different. Both from jiphop

I can confirm that jailmaker is still working as it uses containerd I have no idea about ubernerd

rodneysing

Cadet
Need to deploy a Linux container on TrueNAS Scale Cobina too. I’m migrating old SQLServer data I’m working with from an old Mac. I spun up and old Dell R410 server to do the job, with TrueNAS to improve scalability. Seemed like a much better solution than the old Mac. It looks like the iX documentation has been upgraded, but I’m having difficulty seeing how the environment variables to setup the container VIA Microsoft’s instructions, maps to iX’s custom app deployment wizard. In particular, I need to set SA passwords and persistent data volumes outside of the container and don’t’ see a way to do either. Given Docker has been removed from Cobia, is this even possible? Wanted to run the container, over the VM to avoid adding another layer of complexity and performance hit. Also, running in a VM defeats k8s feature to scale horizontally for the future. Can any container be set to run from config as a custom app on TrueNAS Cobia?

sfatula

Guru
Really, you looked at the doc? This doc?

It's in there. For example, your question about persistent data volumes, it's right there near the top of the document, where it says "Defining Host Path Volumes". etc.

Re-read the page. Docker command line utility has been removed, not the ability to run containers. If the ability to run containers were removed, none of the apps would work since they use containers.

I use only docker containers (well, I do run one app). I find they are much more reliable than the ever changing apps.

Last edited: