Add Redis instance to Nextcloud

GrahamA

Cadet
Hey there,

Messing around with TrueNAS SCALE in a VM, I'm considering a move from CORE to SCALE on my home server (keen to have access to docker images). I have a bit of experience with docker and docker-compose but I'm completely new to Kubernetes so it feels like there's a steep learning curve to this.

So my issue is, I'd like to use an instance of Redis as distributed and locking memcache for Nextcloud. What's the correct way to do that?

I note that Nextcloud is defined as an application which includes an instance of Nextcloud and Postgres DB, the dev notes page notes that there's a way to define applications. I guess I could copy the Nextcloud application definition and add a Redis instance there (so there's a Redis pod in the k3s Nextcloud application namespace). How could I do that?

Alternatively, is there any reason I shouldn't just use docker-compose from the command line? Does Kubernetes offer comparable features?

With thanks,
Graham

ornias

Wizard
Docker-compose is not supported and does not work without flaws without modifications/hacks to the SCALE docker stack.
That should be enough reason not to use it.

I'll start working on the TrueCharts Nextcloud chart next month (as I expect MariaDB to be merged before 01-05-2021), which would include a redis sidecart by default (as I find it to be a requirement)

stavros-k

Patron
Docker-compose is not supported and does not work without flaws without modifications/hacks to the SCALE docker stack.
That should be enough reason not to use it.

I'll start working on the TrueCharts Nextcloud chart next month (as I expect MariaDB to be merged before 01-05-2021), which would include a redis sidecart by default (as I find it to be a requirement)
Any particular reason for MariaDB and not Postgres?

ornias

Wizard
@StavrosMadK Thats offtopic here afaik, because it's totally irrelevant.
If you noticed i've already mostly ported MariaDB and I personally have no interest in porting and maintaing two DB systems.