Docker on 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why the hell does Docker need a filesystem driver? It has no business interacting with any filesystem through anything beyond syscalls.

Zwck

Patron
The comment about zfs storage drivers is if you intended to run docker with zfs on Linux. I assume you are talking about NFS within a docker VM running on FreeNAS.
of course

Stux

MVP
Why the hell does Docker need a filesystem driver? It has no business interacting with any filesystem through anything beyond syscalls.

On ZFS docker implements it’s containers using snapshots and clones.

On other file systems it might use directory overlays.

amiskell

Patron

I don't think it's a "driver" in the traditional sense of the word. I think it's just an interface that allows the docker daemon to understand use features of zfs in managing docker containers efficiently.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
On ZFS docker implements it’s containers using snapshots and clones.

On other file systems it might use directory overlays.
I don't think it's a "driver" in the traditional sense of the word. I think it's just an interface that allows the docker daemon to understand use features of zfs in managing docker containers efficiently.
Sure, that's a good thing to do.

Stux

MVP
But, the docker daemon needs to be running on a Linux host, so the ZFS driver is for ZoL specifically.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I saw a heap of bugs loggged for 11.1 about 3 weeks ago and the list is mysteriously lower now. I am guessing we're doing an alpha / rc kind of thing now for it.

Will 11.1 still ship with docker? I'm (more than) happy to wait for it, rather than have it rushed.

amiskell

Patron
I saw a heap of bugs loggged for 11.1 about 3 weeks ago and the list is mysteriously lower now. I am guessing we're doing an alpha / rc kind of thing now for it.

Will 11.1 still ship with docker? I'm (more than) happy to wait for it, rather than have it rushed.

It's been pushed to 11.2, a number of things were pushed to 11.2.

diskdiddler

Wizard
It's been pushed to 11.2, a number of things were pushed to 11.2.
I don't understand this compulsion with pushing stuff to the next version, to the next version over and over, just so they can increment the number and still hit milestones for releases.

Is some kind of manager / shareholder demanding 11.1 by X date, 11.2 by Y date and so on?

(to be clear, I do NOT mind delays, I just don't see the point in these dinky part releases)

Stux

MVP
There are features and support ready to go now. No pointing holding them up because one thing is not ready.

Linkman

Patron
If they are following some sort of Agile methodology, then they either have a fixed date or a fixed payload for the release. If it's a fixed date (or a rolling release) then you release whatever is ready to go at that time, the rest naturally moves to the next release.

For example, (timeline bears no relation to reality) there isn't much difference between delaying 11.1 a month to get feature X, or releasing 11.1 now and having feature X released in six weeks as part of 11.2 as far as X is concerned, but the stuff that is ready in 11.1 gets to the community now.

diskdiddler

Wizard

amiskell

Patron
What does this ultimately mean?
Thanks Josh.

All it means is that they have finalized what docker host software they intend to use (RancherOS). Now they need to build a pre-canned bhyve virtual machine to download and install, along with all the front end work on the FreeNAS UI side to tie it all together.

Still means you probably won't see Docker until 11.2 at the minimum, maybe even further out like 11.3.

diskdiddler

Wizard
All it means is that they have finalized what docker host software they intend to use (RancherOS). Now they need to build a pre-canned bhyve virtual machine to download and install, along with all the front end work on the FreeNAS UI side to tie it all together.

Still means you probably won't see Docker until 11.2 at the minimum, maybe even further out like 11.3.

I saw posts implying they would use RancherOS several months ago, so I was (and am) confused as if this is a revelation. Maybe they went from "we're going to use RancherOS" to "Nope we're positive?"

Is it slim and lite, god I hope it is. I gave a VM 500MB and 1 core and it still destroyed my FreeNAS machine at running it.

Zwck

Patron
I think it is an excellent decision to go with RancherOS.

brando56894

Wizard
So I jumped to unRaid.

I see a few people took the same route I did. I'm happy with everything....but the performance hahaha I went from about 1 GB/sec sequential read and around the for write (striped mirrors), to down to around 60 MB/sec :( I do enjoy the extra capacity though (20 TB vs 10 TB). I do miss my ARC though :-/ I've been keeping an eye on development, but I'm not gonna switch until it feature comparable to unRAID....so hopefully 11.2.

D1NZ

Cadet
Mate, I have been using the pluginjails for years, succesfully. Somewhat. Upgrading is often screwed up.
Also, I'm doing things out of the ordinary with multiple nasses. Mapping & sharing drives isn't all that 'native'. It's scripting & scripting.

I just wanted to check out docker, kubernetes, rancher & bhyve. The dynamic docker volumes approach - I thought - was the way to go. Turns out it's not mature at all. If you ask me, I'd not use it in a production environment for years to come.

I am still on Corral and waiting it out.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.