Docker on 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
Docker should be coming back in 11.1 (instead of 11.2) from what I'm reading here? Has anyone on the Nightly train played around with it yet?

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23357
I'm on the nightly train but don't quite see the rancher integration.
cac27785e5d77350b319302c15eb4460.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zwck

Patron
i am not on the nightly but i am intrigued :D, have you started a vm there ?

Typically, After naming and creating the vm you have to add a zvol and an iso as cdrom then start and connect via vnc client.

SavageAUS

Patron
I tried but the docker vm won't actually start. Will look into in more tomorrow.

Zwck

Patron
I tried but the docker vm won't actually start. Will look into in more tomorrow.

Typically, After naming and creating the vm you have to add a zvol and an iso as cdrom then start and connect via vnc client.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not as much "integration" yet as it is "press here to set up a basic Docker host".

SavageAUS

Patron

In the "new UI" im unable to select the .iso to mount as a cdrom but in the old UI i can. Bug?
The new UI won't let me drill down past folder level to select the .iso.

amiskell

Patron
In the "new UI" im unable to select the .iso to mount as a cdrom but in the old UI i can. Bug?
The new UI won't let me drill down past folder level to select the .iso.

Based on the information in the bug, it appears that when you select the VM Type of "Docker VM" it will automatically setup everything you need (setting up the zvol, etc). This is because when you select "Docker VM" as the VM Type, it'll download a pre-made image of RancherOS from iX's servers and install it for you.

All you have to do is select the number of vCPUs and amount of memory to assign the Docker VM.

SavageAUS

Patron
Now I'm getting an error about not being able to download the image when creating the docker vm.

Zwck

Patron
Based on the information in the bug, it appears that when you select the VM Type of "Docker VM" it will automatically setup everything you need (setting up the zvol, etc). This is because when you select "Docker VM" as the VM Type, it'll download a pre-made image of RancherOS from iX's servers and install it for you.

All you have to do is select the number of vCPUs and amount of memory to assign the Docker VM.

oh this is getting interesting :D

amiskell

Patron
oh this is getting interesting :D

Yeah, I'm basing this on https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/23357

It looks like there won't be a direct UI element within FreeNAS (at least not yet). They are only providing the RancherOS core itself, not the RancherUI. So you'd still have to login to the console/command line and run the docker commands to configure docker itself and install containers, although you could install RancherUI or Portainer, etc, etc if you wanted GUI support.

Although based on the ticket, I wouldn't expect a deep integration with the primary FreeNAS UI since the bug only mentions a simple UI. They'll probably have a simple UI for the VM basics of getting RancherOS running and leave it to the user to install a UI of their choice and interact with it directly instead of via the FreeNAS UI.

Zwck

Patron
From my own limited experience I think it's great that they don't include the rancherUi, as it is quite resource heavy, and the OS is only 50Mb.

Tho, I use rancher OS on one of my vms and only the agent on many others.

SavageAUS

Patron
Now I'm getting an error about not being able to download the image when creating the docker vm.

Is anyone else on nightlies seeing the same thing?
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.