Docker on 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How come corral have dockers and containers and 11 stopped? it makes it so hard to transition from one version to the next version. when I upgraded to corral i had to learn a lil bit about dockers and created my dockers. Now I upgraded to 11 and all the dockers are gone. And back to the jails setup style. Will 11 use dockers again? or when 12 comes out its going to use dockers again?>
It really pays to read the announcements:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/

tanik1

Contributor
Last edited by a moderator:

tanik1

Contributor
Give it time, it's coming back.
How long you think it will take to see the features again? Don't really want to setup the jails again for the plugins.

mow4cash

Contributor
I's there any recent statement stating that native Docker support will be coming to 11.1 in August? When should we expect to see support on the nightly train? I don't think I can stay on Corral any longer. Is FreeNas even worth sticking with, it seems like the forums are dead after Corral collapsed?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I's there any recent statement stating that native Docker support will be coming to 11.1 in August?
Only in the official announcement, several interviews, the quasi-official Corral migration guide, ... Though expect 11.1 to be released closer to October than August.

When should we expect to see support on the nightly train?
That's actually a good question.

it seems like the forums are dead after Corral collapsed?
Surely you're kidding?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Surely you're kidding?

I know his post is a bit hypoerbolic but ummm the irony here is how long it's been since your post had a reply to it - there's definitely less posting here in the past 3 months, than before 10 launched.

People invested their time in 'the future' and got burnt by that fool pushing 10, they've moved on / burnt out.
I'm posting 1/10th what I was before the mess that was 10 launched.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the irony here is how long it's been since your post had a reply to it
Well, what is there to reply? People have either migrated to interim or alternative solutions and 11.1 is still in its very early stages.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think it's more that general the forum is slower and it's an unfortunate side effect of FN10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've been on this forum long enough to see that activity fluctuates significantly with little medium-term correlation with major releases. The winter months tend to be busier, for instance.

Corral also created a lot of noise - posts that never should have happened but did happen because something was seriously wrong. Lack of documentation, egregious bugs that should not have made it beyond internal testing, ridiculous missing features... This part of the activity naturally disappears with 11, for now.

There was also a lot of activity surrounding docker, which is gone for now, since docker requires a conscious effort to use with 11.0, discouraging the crowd that jumps in, asks questions later and reads the docs last (the inverse order of what would be expected).

tl;dr - it's more a case of Corral driving disproportionate amount of traffic to the forums than a real long-term drop.

Zwck

Patron
I also enjoy the summer month and just check the announcements every once in a while, also 11 is super stable for me. For the corral enthusiasts out there i can only recommend switching to 11, the switch is super easy and by now there are many threads open to help you setup a simple docker host that runs much more stable than whatever was used in corral.

Cheers.

RancherOS + Rancher =
Capture.PNG

and here a benchmark within this docker enviroment:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8389324

its solid.

Disclaimer: before i joined this forum i was a complete beginner, in pretty much everything. networking,permissions,docker, linux, bsd, etc.pp. now, i still am, but I can get around.

Sasayaki

Explorer
also 11 is super stable for me. For the corral enthusiasts out there i can only recommend switching to 11, the switch is super easy and by now there are many threads open to help you setup a simple docker host that runs much more stable than whatever was used in corral.

I am definitely one of those people who eagerly embraced Corral and Docker and am still on it, waiting for 11.1.

The problem is, I don't want to move to a new system now, having only really just gotten used to Docker on Corral, and then have to move to a whole new system again in a few months time.

What I'm really hoping for is that FreeNAS 11.1 is as simple and stable as Corral, but stable and supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwck

Patron

If corral is super stable for you, i'd wait until 11 has the ability to run VMs with the boot method to run boot2docker, or a more beefy environment such as coreOS, or RancherOS directly from the menu.

Sasayaki

Explorer
If corral is super stable for you, i'd wait until 11 has the ability to run VMs with the boot method to run boot2docker, or a more beefy environment such as coreOS, or RancherOS directly from the menu.

I am definitely waiting. I wouldn't call it stable, but for now, it works "well enough". It's slow and twice I've had to revert to my snapshot of the Docker Host VM, but... so far I've been able to recover everything, so it's okay.

KLEPTOROTH

Dabbler
I've been lucky, Corral has been pretty stable for me. Some issues here and there but usually nothing a reboot won't fix, or maybe a little troubleshooting. I haven't been able to figure out how to tell the docker host VM to permanently set the DNS addresses and search domains for the containers. I tried creating the /etc/docker/daemon.json, but didn't realize boot2docker basically wipes everything every reboot so.
If anyone knows how to do that, I'll be happy until 11.1 arrives. Right now I'm having to manually reset these settings every time I have to reboot the NAS, or I lose power (which is often, power in my house was wired.... just awfully).

miich94

Dabbler
so sad that my usb stick died yesterday corral was so stable for me and i love the docker. sadly i didnt have a copy, so i have 11 installed now, but its a pain in the ass cant get it running at al.

even the tutorial isnt working for me :cool:
So if someone has some time to help me out with teamviewer or something it would be great. Dunno if its allowed but its wort a try to get it working in Ubuntu if thats the best option to use and not needed for waiting for docker in FreeNAS itself.

Zwck

Patron
so sad that my usb stick died yesterday corral was so stable for me and i love the docker. sadly i didnt have a copy, so i have 11 installed now, but its a pain in the ass cant get it running at al.

even the tutorial isnt working for me :cool:
So if someone has some time to help me out with teamviewer or something it would be great. Dunno if its allowed but its wort a try to get it working in Ubuntu if thats the best option to use and not needed for waiting for docker in FreeNAS itself.

what do you mean the tutorial did not work ? whats the issue? if it has anything to do with the boot part, i recommend you get the rancherOS version 0.6.1 with the correct boot-loader, after successful installation 0.6.1 then updates to the newest one.

https://github.com/rancher/os/releases?after=v0.7.0-rc2

Last edited:

xCatalystx

Contributor
whats the issue?
Zwck,

Quick question, did you get NFS to work under rancheros + rancher using the rancher-nfs driver? I've been using rancher (on coreos) for awhile but could never get the NFS plugin to work (on rancheros either). I would always have to use a system mount.

Also, mind posting a sanitized rancher-compose / docker-compose output for your stacks? Quite interested in see how you did yours (compared to my own).

Zwck

Patron
Zwck,

Quick question, did you get NFS to work under rancheros + rancher using the rancher-nfs driver? I've been using rancher (on coreos) for awhile but could never get the NFS plugin to work (on rancheros either). I would always have to use a system mount.

Also, mind posting a sanitized rancher-compose / docker-compose output for your stacks? Quite interested in see how you did yours (compared to my own).

i installed the nfs package, basically with a nfs.yml before everything

here it is

Code:
#/var/lib/rancher/conf/cloud-config.d/nfs.yml
write_files:
  - path: /etc/rc.local
	permissions: "0755"
	content: |
	  #!/bin/bash
	  [ ! -e /usr/bin/docker ] && ln -s /usr/bin/docker.dist /usr/bin/docker

rancher:
  services: