DLNA support/plugin for TrueNAS 12?

FredHansen

Dabbler
Hey there!
Is there a way to host a DLNA server in TrueNAS* without using the PLEX plugin? The plugin minidlna seems to be end of life, so I wonder if there is a more recent alternative.

Thank you very much! :)
Fred

*I'm using TrueNAS-12.0-BETA2.1

Last edited:
I'm not on the TrueNAS 12 train yet. However, if the Emby plug-in is available, you can use that for DLNA streaming. I'm using Emby for my DLNA serving without issues in FN 11.

FredHansen

Dabbler
All right. I installed emby but I am too incompetent to create a mount point without the destination folder disappearing as potetial media library target, so...
Emby is like PLEX I guess? I think, that's a bit over the top, I basically really just need a connection to my TV, no fancy title downloading or sharing via an external online account... xP

FredHansen

Dabbler

That's the tutorial I followed. Problem is, that the destination folder of an active mount completely disappears from the emby interface.
Example: The mount point from <myNasMediaFolder> to /mnt/.../iocage/jails/emby/root/media results in the media folder to be gone in the emby interface. If I use the mnt folder as mount point destination instead, I can see the media folder but the mnt folder is gone.

Okay, here's my setup:
  • My music are located in /mnt/Pool_1/Music. Pool_1 is one of my ZFS pools and Music is one of my datasets (also an SMB share so I can upload movie to it).
  • The jail that Emby is hosted has the source of /mnt/Pool_1/Music with the destination of /mnt/Pool_1/iocage/jails/Emby100/root/Music
You have to shutdown the jail that Emby is hosted in to mount the location of your media - Music in this case.

Once you have the Emby plugin installed go to the jails menu on the left hand side of the screen and in the right side select the Emby jail and stop it down. Once it is stopped, you can click on the Mount Points option and select where your media is saved.

After that is done, start the Emby jail. Log into the Emby <ip_address>:8096 and go the server setting. You should see a option on the left called Library. Once in the Library click on Add Media Library. Select the type of media the Library will contain, a display name if you want the library to be something different and then the plus sign next to Folders. You should see your options there.

Last edited:

FredHansen

Dabbler
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Here the exact steps I followed:
- (created pool and target dataset)
- installed emby plugin
- stopped plugin
- added mounting point from target dataset to /mnt/pool/iocage/jails/emby/root/media
- started plugin
- add library in emby settings

Problem: /mnt/pool/iocage/jails/emby/root/media was not a valid target and also not selectable. Somehow the mounting point seems to block the target filesystem location (/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/emby/root/media) from beeing used as part of a path to an emby library.

okay - sounds like it might be a permissions issue on the dataset. This is where it gets tricky (for me at least). What I suggest is a new post requesting help with Emby dataset permissions.There may be something "special" with TN 12. Sorry I can't help more....

FredHansen

Dabbler
No need to be sorry, it's very nice of you trying to help me with this, so thank you! :smile:

I guess I will just wait. I also think the permission system is not perfect yet. Yesterday there was another update making the permission system more restrictive, so there will be problems like that, especially regarding community driven plugins...
I hope, they will natively support a "DLNA share" option in TrueNAS, that would be great!

indivision

Guru
Emby in Plex are very close in functionality. So, I'm not sure why adding Emby for DLNA would accomplish something different than turning on DLNA in Plex?

I recently ran into trouble with Plex not being able to stream 4k to a new TV. But, turning on DLNA in Plex worked (over wireless even).

If you are using Windows on some machine you can share folders via DLNA also. Would that be a viable option? It's pretty easy to set up.

portabuddy

Cadet
i followed this turotial with the latest truenas OS, minidlna works pretty well. this tutorial is for v11 not 12. but i got it to work after some messing around.

Frank Collins

Explorer
I upgraded to TrueNAS and kept the FreeNAS 11.2 version of miniDLNA. Today, I deleted the FreeNAS jail and used the guide in post 11 to install miniDLNA in a TrueNAS jail. It worked perfectly, so the guide works even though miniDLNA is no longer being maintained.

Given that miniDLNA is no longer being maintained, have you given consideration to Emby? I originally started with miniDLNA and moved to Emby and have found that it is better featured and easier (for me) to administer...