SOLVED Display Scrambled VNC to Bhyve Linux VM

ctag

Patron
Hi,

I'm attempting to install Debian 10 in Bhyve on Freenas 11.3-U1 and having a jolly bad time of it.

I begin with mostly defaults in the VM Wizard:
  • Guest OS: Linux
  • Name: FAH
  • Start on Boot: uncheck
  • Memory: 2048M
  • Disk location: Picked somewhere
  • Install media: Browsed to `debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso`
  • Everything else left default/unchanged.
And then I smash that like, share, and subscribe `Submit` button to create the machine.

Back at the menu, I start the machine and then open the VNC webclient to find my grub menu:
2020-03-24_09-08_1.png

2xd5c6.jpg

I can see the screen update when I try hitting arrow keys to select different boot options, buuuut I can't really go through the whole install like this.

It appears I'm having the same issue as https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/freenas-11-debian-9-vm-installation-gui-issue.61516/ and also https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-and-vm-mac-address-change.59772/#post-430281. Except both are a few years old with posts to the effect of "It'll be fixed in a few days! :)" I would try the workaround in those threads of setting the resolution manually, but I don't know how.

That's OK though, I've installed stuff from a serial terminal before, and look: there's a serial terminal button!
2020-03-24_09-13.png

:(

I read the `cu` command in the manual, let me just try that on my own:
2020-03-24_09-15.png

That almost works... But it looks like the guest OS isn't getting the hint to output to the serial port. I've also tried starting the VM and not connecting to VNC at all in case that prompted the serial port to work, no such luck.

I take the VM out back behind the barn and a lone shot rings through the hills. I return without it. Then I set to work creating a new VM that's identical except without VNC enabled.

Now we're getting somewhere:
2020-03-24_09-23.png

But then it just hangs there.

So I switch to gnu-screen and get a grub console and edit the non-graphical install line to have `console=tty1 console=ttyS0,9600n8` as kernel parameters and then boot and we get a installer!
2020-03-24_09-39.png

Mission accomplished!
I'd definitely rather do things the right way (i.e. Web UI) though, and I feel like I'm missing something simple to get the VNC working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

colmconn

Contributor
Set the resolution of the VNC screen to 800x600 and the Debian installer will then display correctly.

ctag

Patron
I spoke too soon. The Debian installer completes and then the installed system will not boot.

I switched to Ubuntu 18.04 and got it installed successfully. It even works with the VNC viewer, weird.

QS639X2dq

Cadet
So, I was able to have success, after facing the same exact issue, by doing the following:

FreeNAS > Virtual Machines > (debian VM) > Devices > VNC > Uncheck the web GUI checkbox
FreeNAS > Virtual Machines > (debian VM) > Devices > VNC > Set resolution to 800x600
RealVNC > Expert Settings > Scale > 800x600

ctag

Patron
So, I was able to have success, after facing the same exact issue, by doing the following:

FreeNAS > Virtual Machines > (debian VM) > Devices > VNC > Uncheck the web GUI checkbox
FreeNAS > Virtual Machines > (debian VM) > Devices > VNC > Set resolution to 800x600
RealVNC > Expert Settings > Scale > 800x600
Thank you!

It works for me now by just changing the resolution.
2020-03-28_16-36.png