disks don't appear to belong to any pool

andrewjs18

Contributor
hi all,

I went to play some movies from plex today, which loads off on my freenas box in my basement, when I realized my movies were not showing up in my plex. thinking my server may still be off from a power outage at some point in the past, I checked and indeed it was off. I powered it back on and waited a few minutes to see if my stuff would reappear in plex and it didn't.....

I pulled out the laptop to log in to the freenas gui and it's not showing my disks to be assigned to any pools....

I haven't messed with my pool and/or added/removed/changed any disks in quite some time so I'm not exactly sure what's going on here and could use some help, I'm also not super versed in freenas.

when I run this command, it lists all of my disks (6 in total), including the boot usb:
Code:
geom disk list

which is a good sign, I'd think. I can also see all of my disks in freenas gui > storage > disks:

436 08.33.jpg

If I go into freenas gui > storage > pools, I can see the pool:

435 08.32.jpg

437 08.38.jpg

what happened to the previous pool I had and/or why is it not functioning correctly?

also, I'm pretty sure when I set up plex on the freenas box, I created a jail. when I try to view my jails after selecting the above pool, I get the following errors...I'm not sure if that is related to the pool not showing up/working in the first place though:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 1317, in activate
    iocage.activate(pool['name'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 355, in activate
    silent=self.silent)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_common.py", line 103, in logit
    callback(content, exception)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_common.py", line 76, in callback
    raise callback_exception(message)
RuntimeError: ZFS pool 'backup_z2' not found!

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
    io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in _call
    return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1022, in _run_in_conn_threadpool
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__ws_threadpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1010, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 1319, in activate
    raise CallError(f'Failed to activate {pool["name"]}: {e}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to activate backup_z2: ZFS pool 'backup_z2' not found!

I'm using FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
please read the forum rules and post the info required.

jails are on your pool. no pool means no jails. why you have no pool is a mystery at this time.
you also put a command, but not it's output?

andrewjs18

Contributor
please read the forum rules and post the info required.

jails are on your pool. no pool means no jails. why you have no pool is a mystery at this time.
you also put a command, but not it's output?
my apologies.

here's the output of that command:

Code:
Geom name: ada0
Providers:
1. Name: ada0
   Mediasize: 4000787030016 (3.6T)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r0w0e0
   descr: HGST HDN724040ALE640
   lunid: 5000cca24ccd5c5a
   ident: PK2334PCGYD4HB
   rotationrate: 7200
   fwsectors: 63
   fwheads: 16

Geom name: ada1
Providers:
1. Name: ada1
   lunid: 5000cca24ccd7e8e
   ident: PK1334PCGYP7YS

Geom name: ada2
Providers:
1. Name: ada2
   lunid: 5000cca24ccc846e
   ident: PK2334PCGWJMDB

Geom name: ada3
Providers:
1. Name: ada3
   lunid: 5000cca24ccd5e34
   ident: PK2334PCGYDMTB

Geom name: ada4
Providers:
1. Name: ada4
   lunid: 5000cca24ccc8449
   ident: PK2334PCGWJL6B

Geom name: ada5
Providers:
1. Name: ada5
   lunid: 5000cca24ccab6c9
   ident: PK2334PCGSKN3B

Geom name: da0
Providers:
1. Name: da0
   Mediasize: 15512174592 (14G)
   Mode: r1w1e2
   descr: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
   ident: C86000BDB8B9CE703A2D1F52
   rotationrate: unknown
   fwheads: 255

server specs:

cpu- intel E3-1230 V2
ram- crucial 16gb (2 x 8gb) ecc ddr3 1600 (ct2kit102472ba160b)
hdd- 6x hgst 4tb sata III H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664)
boot drive- Kingston 16GB DataTraveler G4 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (DTIG4/16GB)
mobo- supermicro mbd-x9scm-f-o
psu- SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W

my set up was using raid-z2

artlessknave

Wizard
ok. it looks like from one of your screenshots that you tried to "Add"; do not do this. this is for creating a new pool or adding disks to a pool. trying either of these will destroy your pool. at this point.

have you tried to import your pool? it's looking like something is making it fail to import.

note that USB devices are no longer recommended for the boot pool, for ~5-8 years now. you probably want to at least mirror 2 USB sticks, although I doubt that's the cause of the vanishing pool.

andrewjs18

Contributor
ok. it looks like from one of your screenshots that you tried to "Add"; do not do this. this is for creating a new pool or adding disks to a pool. trying either of these will destroy your pool. at this point.

have you tried to import your pool? it's looking like something is making it fail to import.

note that USB devices are no longer recommended for the boot pool, for ~5-8 years now. you probably want to at least mirror 2 USB sticks, although I doubt that's the cause of the vanishing pool.
I didn't do anything inside the gui other than grab some screenshots.

I've never ran the import command/tool before. Will the import try to import my existing pool or do I need to feed it some file/data?

Thanks for the help

andrewjs18

Contributor
...and if importing the pool with the GUI fails, try running zpool import at the shell and post the output.
trying the import via the gui did indeed fail....well, sort of, I guess. it wouldn't even let me select the pool, it just showed the following:

438 08.01.jpg

anyways, doing it via the shell worked fine. I rebooted the server and now the pool is showing online and healthy in the gui. I cannot seem to start my plex jail as I get the following error (from within the gui):

Code:
Starting Jail
Error: [EFAULT] mount: /mnt/backup_z2: No such file or directory jail: ioc-plexmediaserver: /sbin/mount -t nullfs -o ro /mnt/backup_z2/iocage/releases/11.3-RELEASE/root/bin /mnt/backup_z2/iocage/jails/plexmediaserver/root/bin: failed

any thoughts there?

thanks again!

andrewjs18

Contributor
I guess I didn't do the import entirely proper. I just did:

zpool import backup_z2

I suppose I also need to tell it where to mount too, correct? previously my pool was mounted in /mnt, now it's in /backup_z2 rather than /mnt/backup_z2, which is probably cascading down to the jail not being able to start because the path is incorrect.

what's the proper way to fix this? should I do another import or just set the mount points manually?

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
with TrueNAS, its best to zpool import, then zpool export, and then try to GUI import again.
although, that is weird. it should be using the same mount point, even when importing manually.
you can specify a mountpoint, but it will not be retained on a reboot.

andrewjs18

Contributor
with TrueNAS, its best to zpool import, then zpool export, and then try to GUI import again.
although, that is weird. it should be using the same mount point, even when importing manually.
you can specify a mountpoint, but it will not be retained on a reboot.
I'm not sure if it matters or not but I'm running freenas not truenas.

Is there any other command(s) I can run to see why the pool is not mounting where it once was?

artlessknave

Wizard
ah, right.
Freenas no longer exists. the software is old and not supported. your first step would be to get to supported software, as any advice given is going to be for TrueNAS.
it shouldnt be so old that it behaves so differently, however.

andrewjs18

Contributor
ah, right.
Freenas no longer exists. the software is old and not supported. your first step would be to get to supported software, as any advice given is going to be for TrueNAS.
it shouldnt be so old that it behaves so differently, however.
I see that. I'm going to be downgrading my freenas box to a smaller footprint system in the near future (possibly an asustor) so I probably won't take the time to go through the upgrade process of a new OS....I just wanted to get my system working and functional again for the time being. A 4U case is just a PITA to lug around to work on...

In any case, I got this worked out. I don't know if my method is "proper" or not but it's working and my pool is mounted where it should be now and plex is working correctly again.

I ran the following command on the CLI:

Code:
zpool import -R /mnt/backup_z2 backup_z2

I don't know if something changed with the zpool import process from freenas 9.X when the pool was initially created to the version I'm using now, 11.3, but the import was not mounting in within /mnt, it kept mounting it at the root of /, which was wrong.

artlessknave

Wizard
ya thats strange, it should be the same mount point since like freenas 8, so I'm not sure what's borked there.
if you are replacing the system and are fine with "good enough" then I guess that's fine. you will have to mount it manually on any reboot though

my experiences with all the consumer NAS's has been terrible, which is what drove me to FreeNAS many years ago, but I do hope it works out for you.