SSL Error when creating Jail

thejamesk

Explorer
Hi, When I try to create a new Jail I get the following error. Anyone know how to fix this?

SSLError​

HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')])")))

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 485, in wrap_socket
cnx.do_handshake()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py", line 1915, in do_handshake
self._raise_ssl_error(self._ssl, result)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py", line 1647, in _raise_ssl_error
_raise_current_error()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/_util.py", line 54, in exception_from_error_queue
raise exception_type(errors)
OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')]

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 672, in urlopen
chunked=chunked,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 376, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 994, in _validate_conn
conn.connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 394, in connect
ssl_context=context,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 370, in ssl_wrap_socket
return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 491, in wrap_socket
raise ssl.SSLError("bad handshake: %r" % e)
ssl.SSLError: ("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')])",)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 449, in send
timeout=timeout
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 720, in urlopen
method, url, error=e, _pool=self, _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2]
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 436, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')])")))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in _call
return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1022, in _run_in_conn_threadpool
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__ws_threadpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1010, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 674, in releases_choices
choices = {str(k): str(k) for k in ListableReleases(remote=remote)}
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/release.py", line 46, in __init__
self.eol_list = IOCFetch.__fetch_eol_check__()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_fetch.py", line 114, in __fetch_eol_check__
req = requests.get(_eol)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 75, in get
return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/raven/breadcrumbs.py", line 341, in send
resp = real_send(self, request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 514, in send
raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')])")))

kfritz

Cadet
I just ran into the same error here. Running FreeNAS-11.3-U5. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The site just renewed their certificate. The old one was probably past its validity date. The new certificate became valid on 12/11/2021.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The old one was probably past its validity date.
I doubt it. The likely issue is what @jgreco describes here:
...and the ultimate (and likely only) solution is "upgrade to TrueNAS 12."

kfritz

Cadet
Thanks danb35 -- that thread has the answer deep in the thread. The problem is python packages with their own CA certs. I went ahead and edited all of the files matching:
Code:
% find /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ -type f -name "cacert.pem"
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/certifi/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/certifi/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/botocore/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/botocore/vendored/requests/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/raven/data/cacert.pem

and removed the "DST Root CA X3" from each. This got me past the error for now. Agree that the ultimate solution is to upgrade.

jbabco

Cadet
Thanks danb35 -- that thread has the answer deep in the thread. The problem is python packages with their own CA certs. I went ahead and edited all of the files matching:
Code:
% find /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ -type f -name "cacert.pem"
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/certifi/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/certifi/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/botocore/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/botocore/vendored/requests/cacert.pem
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/raven/data/cacert.pem

and removed the "DST Root CA X3" from each. This got me past the error for now. Agree that the ultimate solution is to upgrade.
You, sir, are a godsend.

Joe Gorse

Cadet
This should be a script. Here is the beginning. Back the pem files up first.
Code:
cmd='cp "$1" "$1".old'
find /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages -type f -name "cacert.pem" -exec sh -c "$cmd" _ignored {} \;

The relevant sections were between 25 and 30 lines.

I just updated to TrueNAS 12. If I am going to play, it will be more rewarding with supported software. Cheers.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just updated to TrueNAS 12. If I am going to play, it will be more rewarding with supported software.
TrueNAS 12 is no longer supported; the only version of CORE currently supported is 13.