Disk Import Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirdragon

Dabbler
I've set up my Freenas and had created a ZFS volume on my new 2 x 3tb drives - I imported some of my old drives to copy data across as they are in NTFS format and once done will then wipe them for use under Freenas.

I have imported 1 x 2tb and 1 x 1tb drive without issues and managed to copy the data across, but I have another 2tb drive that when I import reports unknown error.

If I boot back into Windows 2012 (I've not removed the SSD yet) I can see the drive and have copied the data across to my machine, so I can then reboot back into Freenas and copy the data across.

Would there be a reason the drive reports unknown error and shows total size as 0 in Freenas and would I be able to delete the drive and redo as a ZFS without issues

regards
Mirdragon

gpsguy

Could you have formatted the Server 2012 drive as ReFS?

If it is NTFS, you might try running CHKDSK on it (in Windows), before retrying to import it in FreeNAS.

mirdragon

Dabbler
hi gpsguy,

I have managed to sort it - the drive is definitely NTFS but under windows I had it named as 'Recorded TV' (with a space in the name) - I renamed it to 'RecordedTV' after copying data to other drives, rebooted back into Freenas and was able to import the drive without issues. So looks like it could have been the space with the drive volume name that caused the issue as none of my other drives had spaces in their titles.

I just wish was easier way of transferring the data across instead of having to using the shell

regards
Mirdragon

ps: how do i mark this as solved

Status
Not open for further replies.