Not open for further replies.

Storms

Dabbler
I have the following setup:
3 x 2TB drives
12 GB Ram
ZFS pool RAIDZ1
Freenas 9.1

I'm planning a backup of the data because I want to upgrade my system to use RAIDZ2, so i'm planning the new system will have 6 x 2TB drives (reuse the 3 that i already have and add 3 more)

So whats the fastest way to backup my 4TB data??? pulling it across over an ethernet cable is going to be slow and then I have to send it back again when the new machine is built. I'm wondering if there's a way to hook up other drives directly to the NAS and transfer data; e.g. i have a 500GB drive lying around.... can I install it into my NAS box and transfer 500 GB worth of data across to it and then pull it out??

Or is there a way i can upgrade to the new system without having to format my current drives?? i.e. so that n the end i just have one big RAIDz2 system with one vdev

Having 2 NAS boxes is not practical for me (too expensive and not required) so that's not an option

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
hook the 500gb up
create a volume on it
drop to command line and rsync your data to it

Storms

Dabbler
thanks for that pirateghost, i have a follow up question though...

the motherboard i'm using only has 6 SATA ports, so when I upgrade I'll be using all 6 ports for my one large volume

So in this situation could i put my backup drive into another machine (e.g. another linux machine)? and then just transfer over ethernet??

Or would I have to temporarily create a freenas on another machine to be able to read the backup drive.

Thanks in advance

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
if thats the case, then you should do the initial backup over ethernet also. a zfs/ufs drive will work best with a bsd, but with some work you could get it readable under linux.

i would probably just stick the drive into a linux machine, use rsync to pull all the files from the FreeNAS and when the new one is in place, rsync everything back

Status
Not open for further replies.