Difficulties starting a new SCALE server

Korvenwin

Cadet
I'm a user of Unraid for 10 years at home and I've just discovered the new TrueNAS SCALE.
I think that it is a system with much more potential, specially on my work as administrator on a research department at university.
I'm not a novice as administrator. I know the basics on Linux and Windows Server but I'm having troubles understanding how work something so simple as sharing resources (a file server).
I'm thinking on replace my home server and build another at work, but I need to be sure I understand how a basic file server works. It would be the first use.
I've read the official documentation more than once, but it is not very complete. I cannot understand concepts like:
  • How setup POSIX: what is the differences between user/group and user/group default, why I need to set a mask
  • How to use NTFSv4: although I set it in properties, seting ACL are the same as POSIX
  • Setting ok an Active Directory, but users doesn't appears while creating an ACL
Please, can someone point me to some more complete resources for ACL valid for SCALE?
Almost everything that appears on Google/YouTube is for TrueNAS CORE not for SCALE.
Thank you very much in advance.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Do you have a NAS system you are working with?.... there is lots of in WebUI hints and documentation. Running SCALE in a VM is useful for checking it out.

I'd suggest asking one question at a time... perhaps with some context on what you are trying to do. Probably more people will volunteer if the know the answer to one question if they know the answer:.

Virtually everything that you can do in CORE is available for SCALE.. except AFP, Jails, plugins. However, CORE documentation and Videos are more mature. So, if you can find the answer in CORE, then ist usually easy to find/ask how to do the same in SCALE.

Could you describe what services and access permissions you want to set.. eg NFSv4 with NFSv4 ACLs?

Some of the answers in in the Dataset page... under advanced options. That lets you choose ACL Type and Mode.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/storage/pools/datasetsscale/

Korvenwin

Cadet
Thank you morganL for your reply.

I already have a server at home based on Unraid with 40Tb. I've installed TrueNAS on a simple PC with 4 hard drives to start a evaluation for my personal use. I like TrueNAS and I'm thinking to migrate my actual home server.

I've been reading a lot this weekend about SCALE, and today at work, I've install TrueNAS in another server linked to our Active Directory.

I've found how to force the NFSv4 use on a dataset but when I create an ACL on this dataset, the only templates are based on POSIX. I suppose that there is no NFSv4 templates, so I create a new one. Here is where starts my problems, probably based on my ignorance.
  • In NFSv4 is necesary a mask too?
  • What is the differences between "User/Group" and "User/Group Obj"?
  • How can I be sure that I'm using NFSv4 and not POSIX
I think that these are basic ACL concepts but I can't find a good guide about ACL. Could you please point me to some information?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Have you seen this ACL primer?

JeffNAS

Dabbler
I'm a user of Unraid for 10 years at home and I've just discovered the new TrueNAS SCALE.
I think that it is a system with much more potential, specially on my work as administrator on a research department at university.
I'm not a novice as administrator. I know the basics on Linux and Windows Server but I'm having troubles understanding how work something so simple as sharing resources (a file server).
I'm thinking on replace my home server and build another at work, but I need to be sure I understand how a basic file server works. It would be the first use.
I've read the official documentation more than once, but it is not very complete. I cannot understand concepts like:
  • How setup POSIX: what is the differences between user/group and user/group default, why I need to set a mask
  • How to use NTFSv4: although I set it in properties, seting ACL are the same as POSIX
  • Setting ok an Active Directory, but users doesn't appears while creating an ACL
Please, can someone point me to some more complete resources for ACL valid for SCALE?
Almost everything that appears on Google/YouTube is for TrueNAS CORE not for SCALE.
Thank you very much in advance.
No one's answered your question here. Did you find the answer?