SCALE Beta ACL and Permissions Errors

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
@morganL Thanks for the info on the progress that has been made toward SCALE 21.08. @anodos I will hopefully get some time to test the nightlies this weekend.

@blanka Unless progress hasn't been as expected it looks like the planned release date for 12.08 is at the end of this month (2021/08/31). This page usually provides a pretty accurate release schedule for the various versions.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It's 1.5 months on 21.06 now. Any plan or schedule when will 21.08 release? With the ACL limitation, I can't use TrueNAS Scale at all. I am a long time TrueNAS Core user and I found out TrueNAS Scale is much more suitable for my loading!!
SCALE is still a BETA product. CORE is much more mature and suitable for production workloads.
SCALE 21.08 is the very end of August.... probably 31st (not 24th).

irishj

Cadet
Same issue here whilst attempting to set ACL.

I've added the user obj, group obj, other & mask entries and can save the changes, but when trying to set recursively I get the error "Error: [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Default ACL entries are required in order to apply ACL recursively".

Can't test Scale properly with this basic permissions function not working.

c77dk

Patron
Same issue here whilst attempting to set ACL.

I've added the user obj, group obj, other & mask entries and can save the changes, but when trying to set recursively I get the error "Error: [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Default ACL entries are required in order to apply ACL recursively".

Can't test Scale properly with this basic permissions function not working.
Which version are you running? 21.06 or -NIGHTLY ? As I've understood there's been a lot of work in the ACL area from 21.06 to now, so the best advise now would be to either wait for 21.08 or test with -NIGHTLY (which @morganL mentions in another thread should be close to 21.08, but with the possibility for some extra free bugs)

irishj

Cadet
Running 21.06 - I can wait for 21.08, it's only a testing instance...using Core for production. Thanks for your reply.

aakaa

Cadet
Some of this is not new info in this thread. Just contributing. My semi-related other thread.

With ACL type set to POSIX I can click on save with these settings (see image below) without getting any error messages.

The other user/group I am trying to add does not seem to gain any permissions but the user obj and group obj seems to be working fine.

Also if I navigate back into this later, the Mask entry will be missing.

If I click on "strip acls" I get the same error as @Ryan Haver mentioned above.

TrueNAS_Scale_ACL_POSIX_Aug2021.png

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Only default entries will be applied to subdirectories and files. The algorithm for inheriting a POSIX1E ACL on newly created objects is basically to copy the default list into the access list (files) or default and access list (dirs). The webui team has worked on getting the ACL managers into a more usable state for 21.08.

Last edited: