Difference between 8.0.4 and 8.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisman

Explorer
Can anyone explain me why is there 2 different versions of FreeNAS?

Which one to choose or install?

Regards,
Cristiano.

Kimba

Dabbler
The 8.0.4 is for current production and provide only the base functionality for the NAS. The 8.2 version is in Beta and provides plug-ins in order to restore the functionality that was in 7.2 and was removed for the complete rewrite of FreeNAS.

If you only care about the NAS element use 8.0.4 until the 8.2 is released.

The plugins will include print-server, bit-torrent, media server and many others known and those yet to be developed.

I hope this helps.

crisman

Explorer
The 8.0.4 is for current production and provide only the base functionality for the NAS. The 8.2 version is in Beta and provides plug-ins in order to restore the functionality that was in 7.2 and was removed for the complete rewrite of FreeNAS.

If you only care about the NAS element use 8.0.4 until the 8.2 is released.

The plugins will include print-server, bit-torrent, media server and many others known and those yet to be developed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your answer.
The print-server is very usefull and other features that are available in 7.2 too, when a stable 8.2 release will be available?

Kimba

Dabbler
That answer can only be provided by someone beyond me since I am just a humble / grateful user, but what I can tell you is that they take a lot of care in producing a quality product. The worse I have seen that was produced was 8.0.0 but what they had to do to get there and what it did it was an amazing feat (Note 8.0.0 was not a bad product it was just skimpy on the Web interface). The 8.2 will be a big improvement with an architecture that will hopefully last years to come and more importantly (from my perspective) is that it paves the way for 9.2 and they will be in sync with FreeBSD. In the 9.2 release it will support Deduplication (stores only one file for all the duplicate files -- space saver for the undisciplined --> me).

Sorry this is not an answer.

joeschmuck

Old Man
8.0.4 also provides iTunes sharing (firefly), DLNA support (minidlna), and bit-torrent support (transmission). This come in the distributable called 8.0.4-MULTIMEDIA. There are complete instructions on how to get this stuff configured and operational. You of course don't have a print server but these other items work very reliably and have for a long time. To be honest, they are easier to implement than the plugins right now by a long shot.

Zip over to this thread for a read on these features and how to configure them. If you have any questions please just ask.
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...uPnP-iTunes)-bits-in-8-0-3-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.