Dell PowerEdge 1950 (PERC 5) + Dell PowerVault MD1000 - FreeNAS can't see disks on GUI interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!
I have FreeNAS 9.3.1 running on a USB drive at a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with a Dell PERC 5/e (LSI SAS1068) Adapter connected to a Dell PowerVault MD1000 by a SAS cable.
All devices are recognized by BIOS and by FreeNAS at the console, but it can't see disks on the web interface.
The command "camcontrol devlist" shows all disks at Dell PowerVault MD1000 (freenas.jgp), but I still can't see them on the web interface (freenas1.jgp), being impossible to create volumes.

freenas.jpg

freenas1.jpg

Is there any known compatibility problem or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Fuganater

Patron
Dell PERC cards are not recommended F/U/W FreeNAS. It is on the supported list but there are many out there that have issues with these cards.

This is from the Hardware Recommendations thread.
If the controller you want to use is an Adaptec, Dell Perc, Highpoint, or some no-name brand you shouldn't even try to use them. All of these may or may not "work" but you'll find out later they don't properly handle SMART monitoring, SMART testing, passing of errors from the disk to the system, etc. Don't put your data at risk and go with *any* of these brands. You can thank us for saving your data later. They also can cause major performance problems.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It seems to be, but there is a "SAS1068 B0" on the chipset. Anyway, it's a Dell PERC 5, so....not recommended.
Thank you!

If that's the case, it must be a SAS 5/e (different from PERC 5/e) which is a rebranded SAS1068. Here's a thread of a user on Overclock.net who successfully flashed LSI1068 IT firmware onto a SAS5/i (similar model, but internal SAS ports)

http://www.overclock.net/t/629200/flash-a-dell-sas-5-ir-with-lsi-firmware-not-a-perc

Note that this user had initial difficulties with the LSI ROM BIOS being too large for the Dell ROM chip (at least I believe that was the root cause) - so you may have to modify the flashing procedure.

If that's the case, it must be a SAS 5/e (different from PERC 5/e) which is a rebranded SAS1068. Here's a thread of a user on Overclock.net who successfully flashed LSI1068 IT firmware onto a SAS5/i (similar model, but internal SAS ports)

http://www.overclock.net/t/629200/flash-a-dell-sas-5-ir-with-lsi-firmware-not-a-perc

Note that this user had initial difficulties with the LSI ROM BIOS being too large for the Dell ROM chip (at least I believe that was the root cause) - so you may have to modify the flashing procedure.

Thank you for the tip! I'm a bit confused, but on boot it shows SAS 6/iR for the integrated controller (internal Dell 1950 drives) and PERC 5/e for the PCI-E Dell Adapter. I took some pictures of the adapter and the chipset:

P1060305.jpg P1060306.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.