/dev/mps0 warning with PERC H200 on Dell Poweredge R510

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
I had a Dell PERC H700 in our FreeNAS box but was advised to get rid of it for a controller that supports JBOD or passthrough mode. My vendor suggested the PERC H200 which I've since purchased. All drives were configured RAID0 previously. FreeNAS seems to be carrying on normally. I can see the drives although from the RAID BIOS I can't see individual drives nor manipulate them in any way. Also of concern is that I get a warning from FreeNAS:

WARNING: Firmware version 7 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0. Please flash controller to P20 IT firmware.

Some searches reveal that I should cross flash my PERC H200 to LSI P20 firmware. Is that advisable? What exactly does all this mean? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

toadman

Guru
No idea. Is the H200 LSI based? I assume so if it's matching the driver. So yes, FreeNAS will give you a warning on the firmware/driver mismatch. I think if you do end up flashing to P20, make sure it's the .04. I think there were issues with previous versions. At any rate you should be able to get the latest from the Avago website.

So what controller is on the H200?

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
Seemingly Dell PERC RAID controllers are just OEM rebranded LSI RAID controllers, but which one exactly I don't know. What I would really like to know is if FreeNAS really expects/wants/needs me to use the LSI firmware on the Dell PERC H200 or if the Dell firmware is good enough and I can simply uncheck the warning and get back to work without having to worry any more about it. Can anyone offer some advice?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Seemingly Dell PERC RAID controllers are just OEM rebranded LSI RAID controllers
True
What I would really like to know is if FreeNAS really expects/wants/needs me to use the LSI firmware on the Dell PERC H200
FreeNAS needs DIRECT access to the disks for software RAIDz
or if the Dell firmware is good enough and I can simply uncheck the warning and get back to work without having to worry any more about it.
The Dell firmware is hardware RAID and is NOT supported by FreeBSD/FreeNAS
Flash your PERC H200 with P20 LSI/Avago (IT mode)
More info found here
And here also

tfast500

Explorer
Is the firmware in the guide still relevant for FreeNAS 9.10? I am confused about why we need the old firmware if we are flashing the new firmware in the below link
From here

Why do we need P07 and P20?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Why do we need P07 and P20?
Didn't read the link provided, but the reason is because LSI's P20 will not install properly until at least LSI's P07 version is installed.

Also, from my experience, you need to enure Dell's version is up to 7 before applying LSI's P07.

I posted a ton about this as well as others. Somewhere I even attached all the needed files with instructions. Feel free to search the forums for them if you are so inclined.

tfast500

Explorer
Didn't read the link provided, but the reason is because LSI's P20 will not install properly until at least LSI's P07 version is installed.

Also, from my experience, you need to enure Dell's version is up to 7 before applying LSI's P07.

I posted a ton about this as well as others. Somewhere I even attached all the needed files with instructions. Feel free to search the forums for them if you are so inclined.
OK thanks that makes sense. Is there a way to check what version your card is? Maybe I won't have to flash the P07 and just the P20 when it comes
I will search the forums more for this thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
OK thanks that makes sense. Is there a way to check what version your card is? Maybe I won't have to flash the P07 and just the P20 when it comes
I will search the forums more for this thanks!
sas2flash -listall or sas2flash -list will get you the desired info.

Status
Not open for further replies.