SOLVED WARNING: ... /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

laacid

Cadet
Well I went back to P16 on my cards , no more warning in FreeNAS.

Thanks BN. I understand going back will stop the error message, but it doesn't answer the question of whether the system is stable or not- it just stops the message.

I am hoping that the FreeNAS team will weigh in on what the best practices are for this situation. I have a setup with 3-3TB WD RED and 3-2TB WD RED in a RAID5 with the SAS9211-8i that I want to use for live data but I dont want to risk it if this error is going to compromise data.

Thank you for replying

PS- does anyone else think if an issue is marked "solved" that a summary of the solution could appear at the top? Just a thought.

mjws00

Guru
There is no question at all in the bug report and no contradiction. It clearly states:

This is correct. The LSI driver in FreeBSD (and hence FreeNAS) is for the version 16 firmware.

The best practices are well known and in a few hundred posts around this forum. You match driver version to the FreeBSD version. Period. A "probably work" is not acceptable.

The problem is in fact significant enough the team put the warning into 9.3.

I did it exactly in order to be more stable. It's seems is much better to match the driver with firmware , then getting always the latest drivers. Update is not always good, anyone who's first priority is the reliability shouldn't turn auto updates on anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To make it absolutely clear: For FreeNAS 9.2 and 9.3, you are expected to have your cards flashed to P16.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The other reason I ask is because on the FreeNAS BUG REPORT site this post says that things should work with a mismatch- https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6678

I thought the bug post was a bit contrary to the posts here and wanted to make sure it was best practices to flash to p16 to have a stable NAS on an LSI that has this issue.

Thought some chump already explained that:

More precisely, not "must," but "maintaining a mapping of firmware-to-driver revisions that work correctly is a nightmare, so instead we do this simpler, safer thing."

There are definitely nonidentical pairings that are just fine, but do you really want to risk it? LSI tests and debugs its current driver against the current firmware, so that's what you should expect to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.