Dell Chelsio T520-CR and networking not working

trevruski

Cadet
I have some problems with networking, after the initial install when the computer is connected using onboard NIC everything works as it suppose to:
I got the IP from the DHCP, connected and changed IP to static. Everything works as intended.

Moved server to permanent location and tried using Chelsio T520-CR, both network card and switch shows that there is connection but I cannot get to connect to the NAS. I tried setting up DHCP, static IP nothing works, I get the information that TrueNas cannot access Network Interface.

I get some errors trying to set up static IP on both interfaces in the same network and I cannot set up DHCP on more then one interface, is this normal?

System is brand new except the Chelsio card, I bought it used from authorized Dell Partner:

Core i5-11400F
Gigabyte Z590
nVidia GT710
32 GB of DDR4 2133 MHz RAM
WD Green for TrueNas system
6x IronWolf 6TB + WD Black 1TB as a cash

Full name of the card from the listing: Dell Chelsio T520-CR 2x10GbE SFP+ F9YF8

How can I verify if card is ok and not broken?

c77dk

Patron
What's the output from ifconfig ? And what version of TrueNAS are you using?

Please explain what you mean by "moved server to permanent location". That makes me think that the switch port you used for testing and the permanent switch port are not configured the same way. What kind of switch is it, and what do the interface configurations look like (if it is a managed switch)?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I get some errors trying to set up static IP on both interfaces in the same network and I cannot set up DHCP on more then one interface, is this normal?
Of course. You can only have one interface with DHCP and you can never have two interfaces with different addresses in the same network. This is how IP works.

trevruski

Cadet
It was a stupid hardware problem, I noticed that only one port works, so I decided to reseat the card and it started working!

Of course. You can only have one interface with DHCP and you can never have two interfaces with different addresses in the same network. This is how IP works.
I would argue that this is not how IP works, on Windows Servers when I connect multiple NIC to network each gets the IP from the same subnet from DHCP, and from what I remember that I was also the case for the Ubuntu. I know it is not recommended but in case like this I would like to have the connection using the build in NIC while diagnosing why Chelisio is not working.

Please explain what you mean by "moved server to permanent location". That makes me think that the switch port you used for testing and the permanent switch port are not configured the same way. What kind of switch is it, and what do the interface configurations look like (if it is a managed switch)?

It was my first instinct, but I copied the settings from working port to not working one and problem persisted.