Deleting files does not free up space & no trash bin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zejohn

Dabbler
Haven't found anyone who has posted anything similar, so I thought I'd ask:

I'm using a Mac, and I've noticed that deleting files on my freenas (shared over afp) does not free up any space. Also, each time I try to delete something, I get a prompt that says "This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action." In other words, finder is not using the native trash (I think the folder is usually called .trash on external drives.) Thus I have three questions:

1) How do I enable the native macOS trash bin on my freenas AFP share?
2) How do I prevent the system from saying the permanent delete message every time I delete something and instead have it move to the .trash folder, to be erased permanently when I erase trash?
3) Why isn't the permanent delete function actually freeing up space? I have no snapshots enabled.

Thanks!

nojohnny101

Wizard
1) not supported on Mac OS X systems. The trash bin feature is only supported on windows.

2) to my knowledge, there is no way to "turn this off". This is coming up because the trash bin feature is not supported.

3) you have no snapshots now or you have never had snapshots?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Lol they say no one has ever had this problem. I'd say this question happens daily.

Check your snapshots and delete them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

zejohn

Dabbler
Lol they say no one has ever had this problem. I'd say this question happens daily.

Check your snapshots and delete them.

To my knowledge I can't find another forum who has talked about the Mac trash bin. Any ideas on how I can fix this? It's reallyannoying seeing that message pop up every second

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To my knowledge I can't find another forum who has talked about the Mac trash bin. Any ideas on how I can fix this? It's reallyannoying seeing that message pop up every second
So you have to use afp? Apple of no longer supporting it and has switched to smb. There are some features in afp that people still need but if you don't switch to smb.

nojohnny101

Wizard
@SweetAndLow was referring to the question we almost see daily about "I deleted files, but did not regain space".

I am not in front of my computer so I can't test the AFP share that I have to see if it supports a "trash bin". But if my memory serves me correctly, Mac OS X doesn't support the trash bin feature on any sharing protocol that FreeNAS offers.

zejohn

Dabbler
So you have to use afp? Apple of no longer supporting it and has switched to smb. There are some features in afp that people still need but if you don't switch to smb.

I need AFP for my time machine backups. I also just skipped SMB because on the FreeNAS gui it says "Windows SMB" and didn't think much of it.

-- UPDATE HOLY SHIT DO NOT USE SMB!!!

SMB has something called name mangling. I changed over last night, used carbon copy cloner to move all my data over. No problems, right? except I found that it literally doubled EVERY FILE that had unique characters like /:? etc.. They'd turn into garble. Looking for a solution, but for now am switching back to AFP asap. It's going to be annoying as hell trying to figure out what files were changed... Really wish I did not follow that advice so blindly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I need AFP for my time machine backups. I also just skipped SMB because on the freenas gui it says "Windows SMB" and didn't think much of it.

-- UPDATE HOLY crap DO NOT USE SMB!!!

SMB has something called name mangling. I changed over last night, used carbon copy cloner to move all my data over. No problems, right? except I found that it literally doubled EVERY FILE that had unique characters like /:? etc.. They'd turn into garble. Looking for a solution, but for now am switching back to AFP asap. It's going to be annoying as hell trying to figure out what files were changed... Really wish I did not follow that advice so blindly.
The filenames are unchanged. They're mangled on the fly when needed - though the fact that it was needed suggests you need to fix something on OS X's side.

I need AFP for my time machine backups. I also just skipped SMB because on the freenas gui it says "Windows SMB" and didn't think much of it.

-- UPDATE HOLY crap DO NOT USE SMB!!!

Which VFS Objects did you define for your SMB share? You should have streams_xttr, aio_pthread, catia and fruit.

Stux

MVP
How do I enable the native macOS trash bin on my freenas AFP share?

I run a Mac OS X Server as an AFP server, and the behaviour is the same. Ie, "move to trash" is only supported for local mac os x volumes, afaik, whether the server is FreeNAS or Apple's AFP implementation.

zejohn

Dabbler
Which VFS Objects did you define for your SMB share? You should have streams_xttr, aio_pthread, catia and fruit.
Have all three of these, names are still mangled. Is it bad if using AFP? Is there a thread that talks about proper Mac SMB set up? I looked around and couldn't find it.

Also, separate issue but the load time on these directoreis is INCREDIBLY slow. For folders that have 100+ items (which is true for a lot of folders for me), I have to wait a solid 2-3 seconds. I read that vfs_fruit should have solved this, but it didn't Please help!

zejohn

Dabbler
YES!!!!!!!!! UPDATE TO EVERYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM:

After 200000 hours of heavy persistence, I figured it out.

AFP is really quite terrible from macOS Sierra. Using SMB is nice, but the directories were still slow & the names were still mangled. To fix this, I pasted these auxiliary parameters into the sharing preference for SMB (you have to press advanced):

mangled names = no
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8

That fixed everything, even the slow directory browsing! Whooooo! fully functional FreeNAS :).

Hope this helps

zejohn

Dabbler
Crap. Update: This fixes files names but prevents me from actually doing anything in the files. I can't see my folder content nor can I read/write from it. If anyone has a fix, I'd be deeply appreciative.

In other words, a folder that used to be called "8/20 - Pictures" which contains illegal characters and becomes mangled now shows up with the original folder name but is missing all the contents inside. My guess is that the remapping of the names points Finder to a location on the NAS that has no files because it is not the name of the original folder.

Sidenote - to fix the slow directory, enable vfs_fruit (just "fruit" in FreeNAS).

Please help!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Crap. Update: This fixes files names but prevents me from actually doing anything in the files. I can't see my folder content nor can I read/write from it. If anyone has a fix, I'd be deeply appreciative.

In other words, a folder that used to be called "8/20 - Pictures" which contains illegal characters and becomes mangled now shows up with the original folder name but is missing all the contents inside. My guess is that the remapping of the names points Finder to a location on the NAS that has no files because it is not the name of the original folder.

Sidenote - to fix the slow directory, enable vfs_fruit (just "fruit" in FreeNAS).

Please help!
Disable the mangling? I don't think that one has any performance benefit. I think the performance is from case sensitivity. There is a thread talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.